The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

How hard is it to get on to the BA honors primary education (5-11)

How hard is it to get on to this course? I'm a mature student, and I have young children which is why I want to stay in Sheffield to study at university. I am going to apply this year in order to start in 2018. Can someone please give me any advice etc? Thank you.
Original post by Zonyali123
How hard is it to get on to this course? I'm a mature student, and I have young children which is why I want to stay in Sheffield to study at university. I am going to apply this year in order to start in 2018. Can someone please give me any advice etc? Thank you.

Hey,

As long as you meet the 2018 entry requirements and produce a strong personal statement, you should have a good chance of gaining a place on the course. You can check out the entry requirements for 2018 applicants here (that's if you haven't done so already).

Just to add, The Student Support Team at Sheffield Hallam offers an abundance of help to mature students and will be here for you all the way throughout your time at University! You could also have a look at our some of our Hallam groups on Facebook for lots of help, tips and advice in preparation for when you become a student here :smile:

Hope this helps.

Anna.
(edited 6 years ago)
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by annablagg
Hey,

As long as you meet the 2018 entry requirements and produce a strong personal statement, you should have a good chance of gaining a place on the course. You can check out the entry requirements for 2018 applicants here (that's if you haven't done so already): https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/find-a-course/ba-honours-primary-education-511-with-qts-fulltime

Just to add, The Student Support Team at Sheffield Hallam offers an abundance of help for mature students and will be here for you all the way throughout your time at University! You could also have a look at our 'Sheffield Hallam Student Commuter's' Facebook group for lots of help, tips and advice in preparation for when you become a student here (i'll provide the link for this below) :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/HallamStudentCommuters/

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. I am very passionate about teaching, and I've been working on meeting the entry requirement for this course since the past two years. I have already written up my personal statement. My son, who has special needs has inspired me and motivated me further to become a primary school teacher, and I have included this in my statement. I use Makaton sign language to communicate with my son, which wil come in use when I train to become a teacher. I started volunteering at a primary school this week. I will volunteer on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons, and will have ten full days of work experience by Christmas. I'll obviously continue volunteering after Christmas. Is this ok?
Thank you for your reply. I am very passionate about teaching, and I've been working on meeting the entry requirement for this course since the past two years. I have already written up my personal statement. My son, who has special needs has inspired me and motivated me further to become a primary school teacher, and I have included this in my statement. I use Makaton sign language to communicate with my son, which wil come in use when I train to become a teacher. I started volunteering at a primary school this week. I will volunteer on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons, and will have ten full days of work experience by Christmas. I'll obviously continue volunteering after Christmas. Is this ok?

No problem! It's great that you're so passionate and it sounds like you've already got lots of work experience under your belt.

If you want to find out anything more or have any other questions about the course, Sheffield Hallam has Open Days coming up on the 1st of October, 22nd of October and 25th of November. If you're interested, you can book your place here:

https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/open-days
Reply 4
No problem! It's great that you're so passionate and it sounds like you've already got lots of work experience under your belt.

If you want to find out anything more or have any other questions about the course, Sheffield Hallam has Open Days coming up on the 1st of October, 22nd of October and 25th of November. If you're interested, you can book your place here:

https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/open-days

Did you go to to Sheffield Hallam university? I've tried booking a place via that website so many times, but it says there's an error.
Did you go to to Sheffield Hallam university? I've tried booking a place via that website so many times, but it says there's an error.

Hey,

Yes I'm currently a 3rd Year Student at Hallam... so if there's anything else you'd like to know about the University just let me know

I am aware that the website is having a few updates at the moment, so this may be why you are having trouble booking your place at the Open Day. However, as an alternative, you could try calling our student services team - they should be able to help you and ensure that you secure a place on the day!

Hope this helps.
Reply 6
Hey,

Yes I'm currently a 3rd Year Student at Hallam... so if there's anything else you'd like to know about the University just let me know

I am aware that the website is having a few updates at the moment, so this may be why you are having trouble booking your place at the Open Day. However, as an alternative, you could try calling our student services team - they should be able to help you and ensure that you secure a place on the day!

Hope this helps.

I have managed to book a place online, and I'll be visititing Sheffield Hallam on 22nd October. It is ok to volunteer on two half days, and count them as a whole day, isn't it? 20 half days count as 10 whole days, which is the minimum requirement for the Primary Education course. I am doing half days, because I can't do a full day.
I have managed to book a place online, and I'll be visititing Sheffield Hallam on 22nd October. It is ok to volunteer on two half days, and count them as a whole day, isn't it? 20 half days count as 10 whole days, which is the minimum requirement for the Primary Education course. I am doing half days, because I can't do a full day.

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply. Great news that you've managed to book a place, is there anything about the Open Day that you'd like to find out more about?

I'm sure that your voluntary work will be fine, but make sure to double check whilst you've got the chance at the Open Day - it is a great place to ask any questions and clear up any queries you have.

Anna.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending