The Student Room Group

Wanting to become an photography/ art teacher

Hi,

I’ve got a BA in Primary Education and PGCE in 5-11 Primary.

I’ve been doing supply for a year and a half and been working at a secondary school as a cover supervisor.

I want to become an art/photography teacher but not sure how to.

Do I need to complete and Art & Design PGCE in secondary?

What other ways can I qualify to teach this subject?
Original post by midorimatcha
Hi,

I’ve got a BA in Primary Education and PGCE in 5-11 Primary.

I’ve been doing supply for a year and a half and been working at a secondary school as a cover supervisor.

I want to become an art/photography teacher but not sure how to.

Do I need to complete and Art & Design PGCE in secondary?

What other ways can I qualify to teach this subject?

Hi @midorimatcha,

if you are already qualified- QTS- you are technically qualified to teach any subject regardless of the subject and phase you trained in. You cannot retrain to get the QTS if you have it already. If that is the case, you can technically apply for a Art and Design teaching job as long as you can demonstrate you have the knowledge or experience to deliver the art & design curriculum to gain a job.
If you haven't, I would suggest you build your knowledge/ expertise in this subject over the next few years to stand a good chance to get a job.
If you haven't got your QTS yet, you could indeed apply to train as a Art and Design teacher. In order to gain a place on a course, you will need to have some art & design qualifications or extensive expertise in the subject you would like to train in. It is the prerogative of a course provider to set their recruitment criteria to their courses, some may only accept applicants with a degree in the subject they want to train in, others expect 50% subject relevance and some may consider a good A-level (grade B or above). If you need help with your application, I would recommend that you get a teaching adviser, they will support you with your application. It is a free service and all our advisers are experienced teachers. Click here to get an adviser.

All the best,
Laure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending