The Student Room Group

Is it realistic to want to move to New York after I graduate uni?

I'm not even at uni yet so I'm thinking quite far ahead, but is it realistic to want to move to NY straight after I graduate? Keeping in mind the need for a work visa, enough money to get you by for the first few months, a place to live and a secure job, would it be best and more realistic for me to graduate, get a job and live at home for a few years, and then move to NY a few years later having found a job that's willing to take me?
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
It is possible, but exceptionally difficult for the vast majority of careers. If you have some technical skills/knowledge that are in short supply in the US, then your chances will be stronger, although it will still be difficult.

Getting an employer to sponsor your work visa is the main issue, especially straight after graduation, but even later in your career it won't be easy. The way most people do it is through an internal transfer with a company they work for in their home country. There are internship visas for those who are current students or who have graduated in the last 12 months, but there are a lot of restrictions on them which mean it isn't always straight forward.

I see. Realistically then I should take it a bit more slowly? I'd like to go into the film/ television industry or into journalism.
Reply 2
In all honesty, it is quite unrealistic. Your best bet is to go there through a company that operates within both the UK and New York, and is willing to transfer you at some point. Even then it is not a guarantee, and I have personally known a number of coworkers have had to wait extended periods of time (on the order of months to years) before they could finally make the move.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending