The Student Room Group

Physics extended essay, word count

I am currently writing my extended essay in physics. I have come to the data collection part, and I barely have 1,300 words. I don't see it as realistic that I should end up with 4,000 words without filling in alot of useless information.
I do, however, have graphs and images in addition to the text.
I was wondering if the word count should be 4,000 words also for science ext.essays, or is that mostly for history/language?
In the library at my school there are a lot of old extended essays one can read. Many of the science essays don't have as much as 4,000 words. But there is no way I can find out the mark on those essays...
So, has anyone written a science essay with less than 4,000 words and received a top-mark, or is that just not possible?
Reply 1
From what I know the minimum is 3000 words, so you don't have to write 4000. In fact, they don't like it that much when people write a lot. Be concise and to the point.
Reply 2
I did mine in the sciences and had problems fitting it in with the 4000 word limit.
Get hold of the guidelines, because from what I remember less than 3300 ish is a zero...
Re draft your essay, many of us at my old school had 4-5 drafts, you should sit down with your supervisor and talk the issue thru. Good Luck
Reply 3
nah, minimum is 3000- i know cause i had to bulls**t my way to it! When i had finished completely i had like 2,500 words, so i just went round putting in more words, and it worked lol..

you sould be aiming for at least 3500 ish though, bt if not dont worry.

make sure u ave a good supervisor, shines is right u need to re-draft it alot your supervisor *should* know what to do...mine didnt..
Reply 4
actually, the whole system of word count for physics is f*cked up... coz the tables and graph anotations don't count - so when I did my EE, I had altoghether like 5500 words... :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending