The Student Room Group

Is my Biology EPQ too general?

Currently working on my EPQ and have gotten to making my writing plan which so far seems to be going well but I feel like my topic might be too general, contrary to what my teacher's telling me. I'm doing mine on ageing, specifically which area of research holds the most promising results for extending lifespans in the near future. However, this includes 12 different areas of research, as well as an introduction, a small summary for each of those 12, and then a final conclusion. Each section is decently complicated as well and I'll be mentioning what is being researched, recent efforts made on research, and what the future holds, repeated 11 more times after that.

Is this too much/is this allowed? I do think I'll be able to go into enough detail that it'll make for a good dissertation but I'm not sure as to whether or not I should end up doing this because looking at other people who have done Biology EPQs, they've done significantly less and still landed A*s.
hi there! honestly that idea sounds really cool! much better than my own and what others in my year chose paha.

although it does seem like a lot. some topics are too broad and some do require a lot more explanation than the word count allows. always keep in mind the word count. that's what my friends struggled with the most. somebody i know compared the successfulness of the english schooling system to other systems around the world- but as you can imagine, that was A LOT of research to include in three thousand words. in the end he narrowed it down to england vs china and then did subcategories of other asian and european countries.

if your teacher thinks it's okay, i would say to go for it truly! it would be a really interesting topic. i'd certainly read it (and that's coming from an english student). if it is something you're considering for uni, it is worth considering for a dissertation in my opinion for sure but it would also make a good epq, just a bit more condensed.

i hope this helps! please update me paha, it does sound so so interesting! :smile:
Original post by Starrytillymae
hi there! honestly that idea sounds really cool! much better than my own and what others in my year chose paha.

although it does seem like a lot. some topics are too broad and some do require a lot more explanation than the word count allows. always keep in mind the word count. that's what my friends struggled with the most. somebody i know compared the successfulness of the english schooling system to other systems around the world- but as you can imagine, that was A LOT of research to include in three thousand words. in the end he narrowed it down to england vs china and then did subcategories of other asian and european countries.

if your teacher thinks it's okay, i would say to go for it truly! it would be a really interesting topic. i'd certainly read it (and that's coming from an english student). if it is something you're considering for uni, it is worth considering for a dissertation in my opinion for sure but it would also make a good epq, just a bit more condensed.

i hope this helps! please update me paha, it does sound so so interesting! :smile:

Thank you very much for the advice! I didn't realise there was a word count on EPQ though, I thought there was unlimited words? Otherwise, I should be fine for each of these :smile:
Original post by Leppa001
Thank you very much for the advice! I didn't realise there was a word count on EPQ though, I thought there was unlimited words? Otherwise, I should be fine for each of these :smile:

upon a quick google, i've discovered that there is a word limit of 5000 for an epq (my teacher told us it was 3000... thank god i dropped it paha). you can either write an essay of 5000 words max or create an artefact (my friend did a poster, and my other friend built her own skateboard- i wish i remember her topic!) for your topic. so yes unfortunately there is a word count! fitting 12 research topics into 5000 words may not allow you to explore them quite as extensively as you wish (a dissertation is 10,000 words i believe) so that is of course something to think about! consider speaking to your teacher about it.

glad i could help!
Reply 4
Original post by Leppa001

My exam board for my EPQ was AQA and my word limit was 5000 however you do have leeway for below or above it of about 10-20% my initial draft was over 7000 words and I could’ve written loads more. Unfortunately I only had a night to cut it short as my supervisor stopped answering my emails after communicating with me twice. It’s tricky to stay within a word count but it’s doable. Just read and reread until you have the correct words but still convey your point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending