The Student Room Group

URGENT: A-level Change Help

Hi! So this is my third week of college, and I originally chose English Lit, Sociology and Philosophy. I think I want to do an English Lit degree, and possibly minor in Sociology.

Anyway, I have really been struggling with Philosophy (AQA), and honestly find it a bit boring. I don't want to be doing a subject I find boring for two years. The pressure is ON to make the right choice, as you can no longer do AS levels, You do 3 A levels you pick from the start and you have to stick with them.

I have been debating between Edexcel History and English Lang. I also considered Psychology and Classics but I'm not sure...

My main worry with History is that I hear day in day out about how unbelievably hard it is. I didn't do it at GCSE, so have little to no experience with it, and I'm worried because if I change to History, I can't change subjects again. They say week 3 is the deadline.

I'm worried I will find English Language really boring.

Any suggestions or advice on what I should take or do? Should I just stick with Philosophy and probably get a bad grade? Does it get easier? I am finding this whole situation so stressful and I honestly want to curl up in a ball and cry, but I have no time for that!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by meganlit
Hi! So this is my third week of college, and I originally chose English Lit, Sociology and Philosophy. I think I want to do an English Lit degree, and possibly minor in Sociology.

Anyway, I have really been struggling with Philosophy (AQA), and honestly find it a bit boring. I don't want to be doing a subject I find boring for two years. The pressure is ON to make the right choice, as you can no longer do AS levels, You do 3 A levels you pick from the start and you have to stick with them.

I have been debating between Edexcel History and English Lang. I also considered Psychology and Classics but I'm not sure...

My main worry with History is that I hear day in day out about how unbelievably hard it is. I didn't do it at GCSE, so have little to no experience with it, and I'm worried because if I change to History, I can't change subjects again. They say week 3 is the deadline.

I'm worried I will find English Language really boring.

Any suggestions or advice on what I should take or do? Should I just stick with Philosophy and probably get a bad grade? Does it get easier? I am finding this whole situation so stressful and I honestly want to curl up in a ball and cry, but I have no time for that!

Thank you :smile:

You either like history or you dont. Have a look at the periods covered. It can be hard if you dont like it and cant deal with the volume. Also very interesting if you like the period and are generally inquisitive.

You should check out classics its 1/3 literature 1/3 history and 1/3 something else. Well respected and fun imo.
(edited 6 years ago)
Classics is fairly relevant if you want to pursue literature. History is less obviously relevant, but complements your overall subject choices well and along with sociology provides a contextual framework to analyse the literary texts you're looking at.

Quick Reply

Latest