The Student Room Group

How hard is the new AS Maths?

I’m considering doing Maths as an AS alongside History, Geography & Physics.

At GCSE I wasn’t the most confident student at Maths, it was definitely my weakest subject. But after a lot of hard work and determination, I managed to get a 6, and was 1 mark from a 7. Despite this, out of all my results Maths was still my lowest GCSE grade.

I know people are going to tell me that I should do it because of Physics but honestly, so far I’m not struggling. As I have 3 subjects I have a lot of time to practice the maths side of Physics and a very kind Maths department who offered to help. I definitely prefer the maths in Physics over Maths as a whole as it’s focused around a pretty small area of Maths so it’s easier to focus on. Also I prefer it because in Physics it’s applied maths, whereas at GCSE I just questioned why I would ever need this. A few people have already dropped Physics and they were strong grade 7-9 students who are doing very well so far in A-Level Maths, and most people still in the class who also do A-Level Maths say that Physics is harder/more boring. But I guess this is the opposite for me as I prefer Physics over Maths and so far, have been able to grasp the concepts quite easily.

Also, I think it may be better for me to do 3 so I can get higher grades. If I get like Oxbridge-worthy predicted grades then I think I’ll apply to some of the top 20 universities for Law, otherwise I think I’d do something else like CompSci or Geoscience, where Maths can be useful but not required at all universities. There’s no way I’m doing Law if it’s below a ‘semi-target university’ as there’s definitely too many people doing Law.

I know this has been quite biased against me not doing Maths, but I was wondering if it was worth it and if I will be able to cope (referring back to the second paragraph)

Thank you
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest