The Student Room Group

I got strange AS Target Grades

So, on Friday, some of us got our target grades yesterday. Mine were:
Maths/Further Maths: A
Drama: A
Music: B

I'm wondering why I got a higher target grade for drama than I did for music. In GCSEs, I got A*s in Maths (8) and Music, but I never did a GCSE in Drama (though I got a 7 in English Literature). I get that music has a reputation for being very hard, but I'd never thought it would be harder than further maths.
Perhaps you are simply better at maths than you are music? They are two different subjects with two different skill sets, there is no reason to assume that you would be equally good at both. On Drama, perhaps your teacher just thinks you are very good at it.
Reply 2
Most schools set targets based on your average GCSE score - what you achieved in different GCSEs is irrelevant, they just use your mean score. They then use the statistical data of what prior students with that score have gone to to achieve in different subjects to identify your most likely grade in those subjects and then add a bit for a target. It clearly shows that some subjects are harder than others and Music is up there with Chemistry and german as being difficult. Maths is pretty hard. weirdly, FM predictions are higher than Maths ones - probably because the students who pick FM have shown by doing to they have a real interest in the subject and there is probably a significant minority of them whose mean GCSE score isn't that fantastic but they can do Maths.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
Most schools set targets based on your average GCSE score - what you achieved in different GCSEs is irrelevant, they just sue your mean score. They then use the statistical data of what prior students with that score have gone to to achieve in different subjects to identify your most likely grade in those subjects and then add a bit for a target. It clearly shows that some subjects are harder than others and Music is up there with Chemistry and german as being difficult. Maths is pretty hard. weirdly, FM predictions are higher than Maths ones - probably because the students who pick FM have shown by doing to they have a real interest in the subject and there is probably a significant minority of them whose mean GCSE score isn't that fantastic but they can do Maths.

I'm probably in that minority whose mean score isn't fantastic (6.8)
Target grades mean absoloutely nothing, dont worry about it and just work hard :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest