The Student Room Group

Moving from Tech (grad scheme offer) into Finance

Hey,

I intern-ed this summer at one of the big investment banks as a technology analyst and was absolutely delighted to receive an offer for their 2018 technology graduate programme.

Thinking of moving into front-office (trading/securities/markets type role) for the following reasons:
-While I've always thought of tech as my passion, I'm not sure I'll enjoy 5 days a week working in a software development team implementing small fixes or changes
-More money
-Sounds shallow but more pride - I don't want to feel like I've just settled for tech if I can get into a more competitive role

but have some concerns:
-Not sure I'm a strong enough candidate to be applying right now (intern at an investment bank will obviously help - but no financial work exp, and not from a target uni)
-Longer hours so would have to rent in London (as opposed to living at home and commuting in)

I think the best option is to do the year of tech grad scheme and then if I'm sure I want to move, apply for a masters in econ/finance at maybe LSE then go for a finance grad role after that, but if anyone has any other thoughts or insight please let me know as I'm a little conflicted!
(edited 6 years ago)
I think your plan is reasonable and you should give it a shot if you want to work in the FO rather than wondering what might have been.

One other possibility is doing the Masters while staying in the job. You can do a part-time one at CASS (which is just as well-regarded at LSE) over two years via evening classes. Birkbeck probably have something similar.
Reply 2
Hi,

I know this is off topic, but I am currently interested in applying for technology graduate programme. Having no tech work experience? Is this likely to negatively affect me? I also know some programming, but I am not at a level where I am proeffecient or anything, is this okay too?
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending