Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1) Ψ1 = sin(𝑘𝑥)
    2) Ψ2 = e^𝑖𝑘𝑥 = 𝑐𝑜𝑠(𝑘𝑥) + 𝑖sin(𝑘𝑥)

For each wave function, show that they are eigenfuntions of the hamiltonian in
    i) Free Space (V(x)=0).
    ii) A 'flat' potential (V(x) = V)

In each case, what is the kinetic and total energy?

I've done all of it, but how do I show in each case, what is the kinetic and total energy?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PencilPot!)
    1) Ψ1 = sin(𝑘𝑥)
    2) Ψ2 = e^𝑖𝑘𝑥 = 𝑐𝑜𝑠(𝑘𝑥) + 𝑖sin(𝑘𝑥)

For each wave function, show that they are eigenfuntions of the hamiltonian in
    i) Free Space (V(x)=0).
    ii) A 'flat' potential (V(x) = V)

In each case, what is the kinetic and total energy?

I've done all of it, but how do I show in each case, what is the kinetic and total energy?

Thanks!
    The Hamiltonian is the energy operator, so for a wavefunction Ψ that is an eigenfunction of the hamiltonian

Ĥ Ψ = E Ψ

so total energy is the eigenvalue you get, which will be whatever is multiplying the original wavefunction.

An example (assuming V(x)=0)

Ψ=cos(kx)

Ĥ Ψ = -(ħ2/2m)d2/dx2 (cos(kx))
    = ((ħ2k2)/2m) cos(kx)

so energy is (ħ2k2)/2m

Total energy= kinetic energy + potential energy

for case one in the question, we have no potential energy so total energy=kinetic energy

for case two potential energy is a constant, V, now total energy= kinetic energy + V

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    The Hamiltonian is the energy operator, so for a wavefunction Ψ that is an eigenfunction of the hamiltonian

Ĥ Ψ = E Ψ

so total energy is the eigenvalue you get, which will be whatever is multiplying the original wavefunction.

An example (assuming V(x)=0)

Ψ=cos(kx)

Ĥ Ψ = -(ħ2/2m)d2/dx2 (cos(kx))
    = ((ħ2k2)/2m) cos(kx)

so energy is (ħ2k2)/2m

Total energy= kinetic energy + potential energy

for case one in the question, we have no potential energy so total energy=kinetic energy

for case two potential energy is a constant, V, now total energy= kinetic energy + V
    Thank you!
    I got that in the end

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.