The Student Room Group

maths

guys help how do you know which wave function to use
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mate1

guys help how do you know which wave function to use

You could probably guess the min/max values and where they occur for this simple one, but as its sin(x)-cos(x), it would probably be simplest to use sin(x-alpha) as that way both sin(alpha) and cos(alpha) are positive so alpha lies in quadrant 1.

You can use others, but you may need to be a bit more careful about calculating alpha...
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
You could probably guess the min/max values and where they occur for this simple one, but as its sin(x)-cos(x), it would probably be simplest to use sin(x-alpha) as that way both sin(alpha) and cos(alpha) are positive so alpha lies in quadrant 1.

You can use others, but you may need to be a bit more careful about calculating alpha...

Oh right, kinda forgot about that
Reply 3
Original post by Mate1
Oh right, kinda forgot about that

Its one of those things not to worry about too much, though if alpha is in quadrant 2 or 3, you have to be careful if you do a naive atan() calculation.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Its one of those things not to worry about too much, though if alpha is in quadrant 2 or 3, you have to be careful if you do a naive atan() calculation.

thank you.i was so scared but now i'm fine.hope to get 90%above in maths to impress my maths teacher

Quick Reply

Latest