The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry vs A2 Chemistry. The jump from GCSE

Do you feel the jump from GCSE to AS was bigger than the jump from AS to A2 for Chemistry? Specifically AQA but im sure all exam boards are similar :smile:
I do OCR, but for me the jump between GCSE to AS wasn’t bad at all, from AS to A2 I think there is a bit of a jump in terms of they expect you to be able to do more complex maths
Reply 2
Original post by lcschofield
I do OCR, but for me the jump between GCSE to AS wasn’t bad at all, from AS to A2 I think there is a bit of a jump in terms of they expect you to be able to do more complex maths

Im finding A2 ok so far. I think the jump from GCSE to AS was harder, it might be because i di my GCSE in year 10 so i mightve forgotten how hard chemistry was? Lol
Im in my second year of A Levels doing AQA Chemistry and I personally found the jump from GCSE to AS pretty huge but AS to A Level not as big except for maths. They expect so much more maths in the second year!
AS to A2 was definitely harder for me. I'm on my A2 year currently, and it's fine now that I'm used to the difficulty level. GCSE to AS felt like nothing because the first topic was atomic structure and periodic table (edexcel) and that was basically gcse revision😂.
Reply 5
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Im in my second year of A Levels doing AQA Chemistry and I personally found the jump from GCSE to AS pretty huge but AS to A Level not as big except for maths. They expect so much more maths in the second year!

I agree but even the maths at A level is pretty basic. Usually just reaaranging, making sure you have the. correct units. If you did AS maths then the maths in chem is easy
I didn't really find there was much of a jump until a few chapters into A2. But once you go over them, they should be fine
Original post by HateOCR
I agree but even the maths at A level is pretty basic. Usually just reaaranging, making sure you have the. correct units. If you did AS maths then the maths in chem is easy

I've never been the best at maths so it is a struggle for me but I agree it's nothing too hard! I didn't do maths AS cause even just the thought makes me want to bash my head off a wall lmao

Quick Reply

Latest