The Student Room Group

Is it possible to change A-Levels or retake year 12?

You've prolly seen me a lot but I'm just very anxious and curious about my possible options, so sorry for bothering you all.

For context, I do biology, chemistry and psychology as my a levels. I adore Biology and Psychology and I am pretty good at both subjects. But I despise Chemistry, and despite working hard to improve I find the subject very confusing and uninteresting.

I was wondering if it was possible to retake year 12 with a new a-level inplace of chemistry. I really want to do sociology, as I've found the content I've seen from my friends and looked at in my spare time to be really interesting and enjoyable. Or I was wondering if it were possible to instead learn the AS content over the summer holidays, then continue on normally over A2. If this is not possible, then is there any good revision tips to get my grade in Chemistry up?

Someone please help me!!!
Original post by LoafOfBread05
You've prolly seen me a lot but I'm just very anxious and curious about my possible options, so sorry for bothering you all.

For context, I do biology, chemistry and psychology as my a levels. I adore Biology and Psychology and I am pretty good at both subjects. But I despise Chemistry, and despite working hard to improve I find the subject very confusing and uninteresting.

I was wondering if it was possible to retake year 12 with a new a-level inplace of chemistry. I really want to do sociology, as I've found the content I've seen from my friends and looked at in my spare time to be really interesting and enjoyable. Or I was wondering if it were possible to instead learn the AS content over the summer holidays, then continue on normally over A2. If this is not possible, then is there any good revision tips to get my grade in Chemistry up?

Probably best to ask your school/college what options they have and work with your teachers from there
Reply 2
Original post by Teribblestudent
Probably best to ask your school/college what options they have and work with your teachers from there

Any advice on how I should ask them?
Reply 3

Chemistry is one of the hardest A levels and I did horrifically in the first year. My success in Y13 was using past paper questions and watching ‘MaChemGuy’ on YouTube who does question walk throughs and topic lessons. It’s good that you’re worrying, I didn’t start worrying until around 3 months before exams! Another thing I found with chemistry is that it all comes together near the end. I had a kind of ‘Eureka’ moment when it suddenly clicked. Honestly you just have to persevere! Good luck and try and stick with it. You have all summer to get into gear if you really want it.
Reply 4
Original post by Trueolive
Chemistry is one of the hardest A levels and I did horrifically in the first year. My success in Y13 was using past paper questions and watching ‘MaChemGuy’ on YouTube who does question walk throughs and topic lessons. It’s good that you’re worrying, I didn’t start worrying until around 3 months before exams! Another thing I found with chemistry is that it all comes together near the end. I had a kind of ‘Eureka’ moment when it suddenly clicked. Honestly you just have to persevere! Good luck and try and stick with it. You have all summer to get into gear if you really want it.

Is it possible to get your predicted grade up by Januar y2024, I'm literally predicted an E and even smth like a B would be good for me.
Reply 5
Is it possible to get your predicted grade up by Januar y2024, I'm literally predicted an E and even smth like a B would be good for me.

I think most schools go off mock results to formulate their predicted grades. However, ultimately it is down to the teachers discretion. I think I got a C in my year 12 mocks and I was devastated because I thought it was going to screw my application over. After the mock I asked my teacher what I could do to bump my predicted grade and they said to prove to them I could get an A. If your teachers can see you’re putting in the work and getting consistently better at class work and the in-class assessments it’s possible they can give you a B. I want to reiterate Chemistry Isn’t an easy subject but there is a major difference between those who get D’s Vs those who get A*’s. It’s identifying the correct method of studying for you that is active. DO NOT just read textbook’s and make notes. This is your decision and as long as in 10 years you don’t look back and regret it you’ve made the correct choice. The situation you find yourself in may be dire but many people including me have overcome it! Good Luck.
Reply 6
Original post by Trueolive
I think most schools go off mock results to formulate their predicted grades. However, ultimately it is down to the teachers discretion. I think I got a C in my year 12 mocks and I was devastated because I thought it was going to screw my application over. After the mock I asked my teacher what I could do to bump my predicted grade and they said to prove to them I could get an A. If your teachers can see you’re putting in the work and getting consistently better at class work and the in-class assessments it’s possible they can give you a B. I want to reiterate Chemistry Isn’t an easy subject but there is a major difference between those who get D’s Vs those who get A*’s. It’s identifying the correct method of studying for you that is active. DO NOT just read textbook’s and make notes. This is your decision and as long as in 10 years you don’t look back and regret it you’ve made the correct choice. The situation you find yourself in may be dire but many people including me have overcome it! Good Luck.

Thank you. This has really motivated me a lot. I appreciate it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest