The Student Room Group

I cant do english gcse omghdfgjffggg help

i don't know why, but I just can't do English Lit. I don't understand how to write a paragraph about the structure or themes etc. I just hate it so much. In my yr 10 mock I got a 4. I know its a pass, but I got a 7-9 in everything else, except language, which was a 6, but I'm understanding language more now. Could anyone leave a structure format or just advice because I am just stressing lol
A paragraph structure that helped me was using PETER (point ,evidence ,technique ,explain ,(effect on the) reader)
So, you say something along the lines of:
The author successfully portrays *point* in the scene/chapter when... does/says *evidence*. By using *technique* the author demonstrates *explain* This causes the reader to think/feel/imagine ....

This obviously doesn’t work for everything, and you can omit ‘technique’ depending on the scenario. There are loads of other useful acronyms:
PEE (point evidence explain)
PEER (point evidence explain effect on reader)
PETAL (point evidence technique analyse link to x theme)
PEEL (point evidence explain link)

They all pretty much do the same thing but I used a mixture of them for any essay as not all paragraphs have to be identical. Whatever works for you.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions about this
Reply 2
If you can do the new English Language you can do the Lit, they are very similar. See if you can cross skills over from the language to the lit, as the first is very much about text analysis now rather the knowing the grammar.

Have a word with your teacher, as they will have an idea where your weak points are, and work on those. It maybe that you have the skills but your spelling or punctuation is letting you down.

Have a look at Mr Bruff's videos on You Tube, his videos really helped me before I sat my exams.
Watch Mr Bruff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending