The Student Room Group

I find it so hard to revise (especially maths)

I have mocks in less than 2 weeks and GCSE's will come so fast and I find it so hard to revise cuz i get distracted so easily whether putting my phone away and then start watching youtube videos on my laptop.
I know its my own fault but i just need effective ways to revise.
Original post by angeli.p
I have mocks in less than 2 weeks and GCSE's will come so fast and I find it so hard to revise cuz i get distracted so easily whether putting my phone away and then start watching youtube videos on my laptop.

Head to the library.

Revise with friends.

SelfControl is an app you can get on your computer that stops you from accessing sites you've blacklisted for a certain amount of time (youtube, twitter, TSR, just put EVERYTHING down). It won't let you back on unless that time is up- and I mean there's no way of accessing these sites once you press go. Uninstalling the app does nothing (trust me, I've tried.)
Reply 3
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Head to the library.

Revise with friends.

knowing us we'd totally go off topic
Reply 4
Original post by troubletracking
SelfControl is an app you can get on your computer that stops you from accessing sites you've blacklisted for a certain amount of time (youtube, twitter, TSR, just put EVERYTHING down). It won't let you back on unless that time is up- and I mean there's no way of accessing these sites once you press go. Uninstalling the app does nothing (trust me, I've tried.)

idk if thats a good or bad thing
Reply 5
i have the same problem as you rip,
i think you should create a time table like revise 30-40 mins and reward yourself with a youtube video (no longer than 10 mins) or 10 mins on social media then do another 30 then reward yourself!
Also, keep organised and know what youre going to be revising beforehand. i haven't tried this method that i just made up now but i think its legit. hope it works for both of us! good luck for the mocks were going to die fr
Reply 6
Original post by isadiya
i have the same problem as you rip,
i think you should create a time table like revise 30-40 mins and reward yourself with a youtube video (no longer than 10 mins) or 10 mins on social media then do another 30 then reward yourself!
Also, keep organised and know what youre going to be revising beforehand. i haven't tried this method that i just made up now but i think its legit. hope it works for both of us! good luck for the mocks were going to die fr

honestly, mines start next wednesday and im dreading it so badly because they get sent of to colleges and i don't wanna look bad ugh what is our life
Reply 7
honestly, mines start next wednesday and im dreading it so badly because they get sent of to colleges and i don't wanna look bad ugh what is our life

mine are in 2 weeks and i feel you on a spiritual level bc how is any college going to accept me if im bad at maths. whats ur predicted grades?
idk if thats a good or bad thing

If you feel really overwhelmed over where to start because there's either so much to know or you don't know where to begin, make a list of things that you absolutely 100% do not get. Don't put things on there that you sort of understand, because there's not enough time and you can brush these up before your real exam. Divide the list of topics up by how many days you have left, and just do two or three topics a night until you've covered everything you couldn't do before. Watch a youtube video to understand it (my personal fave is corbettmaths) or go to see your teacher, then search practice questions online to do, or use a revision workbook if you have one.
Right now, for your mocks, a pass would suffice to get you onto the next stage of education. You can work on finetuning that 5 into a 6/7 after mocks when you have the time to go over everything in detail, but they're just mocks. I'm going to assume you don't want to do maths in higher education, so a 5 (or maybe a 6 if you're into science) will definitely get you into college/ sixth form/ apprenticeship. If you don't do brilliantly in these mocks, there's your motivation to get your act together by the time May rolls around.
Breathe. You got months to perfect everything. Accept that there's no way you'll be able to cover everything. For now, just tackle areas where you'll lose the most marks.
(why am i giving advice on maths revision instead of doing my own i'm awful at maths ahaha i'm in the same boat at least if we fail we'll fail together:redface:)
Reply 9
Original post by troubletracking
If you feel really overwhelmed over where to start because there's either so much to know or you don't know where to begin, make a list of things that you absolutely 100% do not get. Don't put things on there that you sort of understand, because there's not enough time and you can brush these up before your real exam. Divide the list of topics up by how many days you have left, and just do two or three topics a night until you've covered everything you couldn't do before. Watch a youtube video to understand it (my personal fave is corbettmaths) or go to see your teacher, then search practice questions online to do, or use a revision workbook if you have one.
Right now, for your mocks, a pass would suffice to get you onto the next stage of education. You can work on finetuning that 5 into a 6/7 after mocks when you have the time to go over everything in detail, but they're just mocks. I'm going to assume you don't want to do maths in higher education, so a 5 (or maybe a 6 if you're into science) will definitely get you into college/ sixth form/ apprenticeship. If you don't do brilliantly in these mocks, there's your motivation to get your act together by the time May rolls around.
Breathe. You got months to perfect everything. Accept that there's no way you'll be able to cover everything. For now, just tackle areas where you'll lose the most marks.
(why am i giving advice on maths revision instead of doing my own i'm awful at maths ahaha i'm in the same boat at least if we fail we'll fail together:redface:)

im praying for the both us of we'll do well im sure
Reply 10
Original post by isadiya
mine are in 2 weeks and i feel you on a spiritual level bc how is any college going to accept me if im bad at maths. whats ur predicted grades?

6/7's :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest