The Student Room Group

AH Chemistry Investigation

Hi,
I need some help. For my Advanced higher investigation I am studying the chlorine content of bleaches.
Before starting the investigation I need to standardise sodium thiosulphate solutions. The guidelines I have been given below.

1) Sodium thiosulphate-5-water is not a primary standard and hence sodium thiosulphate solutions must be standardised before use. Calculate the mass of sodium thiosulphate-5-water needed to prepare 2 litres of approximately 0.1mol l^-1 solution. How do I do this? Is it easier than I'm making it out to be (most probably)

2) You will standardise the sodium thiosulphate solution with molecular iodide produced by the oxidation of iodide ions by a measured volume of a standard potassium bromate(V) solution. Why is potassium bromate (V) used? All of the references I have found use KIO3, is this experiment different so that students do their own work and don't rely on internet references?

3) Construct the redox equations for the reaction of:
a) iodide ions in acid solution with bromate(V) ions;
b) thiosulphate ions with molecular iodine, and
c) thiosulphate ions and bromate(V) ions (eliminate the iodine between equations a) and b)).
How do I do this? I'm going wrong somewhere
Explain why this 'working equation' is a 'theoretical equation' and not a 'real equation'.

4) Use equation c) in 3 above to calculate the mass of the oxidising agent you need to give a titre of about 25cm^3 of the sodium thiosulphate solution standardisation. Scale the calculated mass so that you can prepare 250cm^3 of the solution. This will enable you to do three titrations from the one weighing.

Any help would be great. It's probably a lot easier than I am making it out to be, and in class tomorrow we are going to be given more details of procedures so hopefully the gaps in my knowledge will be filled.

Latest