The Student Room Group

I think my mail-sent Provisional license application got lost in the post?

I rang up the DVLA 2 weeks after sending in my application, just to make sure everything was okay. However they said they didn’t recieve my application and have nothing under my name, I understand these things take some time however I am rather worried that my documents have gone missing or worse ended up with someone else.
I know it is partially my fault as I should’ve sent it in signed and tracked however I bought first class stamps and thought it would be okay. I’m so frustrated, what do I do??

😿💪💪
Original post by Glumdrops
I rang up the DVLA 2 weeks after sending in my application, just to make sure everything was okay. However they said they didn’t recieve my application and have nothing under my name, I understand these things take some time however I am rather worried that my documents have gone missing or worse ended up with someone else.
I know it is partially my fault as I should’ve sent it in signed and tracked however I bought first class stamps and thought it would be okay. I’m so frustrated, what do I do??

😿💪💪

Apply online instead?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Apply online instead?

I would but now not only are my documents missing but I don’t have a valid passport.
I would but now not only are my documents missing but I don’t have a valid passport.

Ah. What documents did you send? If you don't have a valid passport, then presumably you'll have had to send your birth certificate plus a P60, payslip, NI card, or similar? Was there a return address on the back of the envelope (to help it find its way back to you, if necessary)?

Did the DVLA offer any advice as to what you should so next? There information leaflet about completing a D1 (the paper form to request a new license) says:

"If you sent your application direct to us and you do not get your identity documents back within 2 weeks of receiving your photocard licence, please
phone DVLA Customer Enquiries on 0300 790 6801.
Note: unless you contact us within three months of the date you sent your application, it will be difficult for us and Royal Mail to carry out the necessary
investigation."

I really don't know how they or the Royal Mail would "carry out the necessary investigation" if the envelope wasn't being tracked in any way. Perhaps give it another week or so and call the DVLA again?

At some point, thought, you'll have to assume that the application (and associated documents) are lost.

BTW, when you say you "don’t have a valid passport", does that mean you have an expired one? If so, you can renew it online and then apply for your driving license on-line by quoting the new passport number. This approach is much safer than sending original documents in the post.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Ah. What documents did you send? If you don't have a valid passport, then presumably you'll have had to send your birth certificate plus a P60, payslip, NI card, or similar? Was there a return address on the back of the envelope (to help it find its way back to you, if necessary)?

Did the DVLA offer any advice as to what you should so next? There information leaflet about completing a D1 (the paper form to request a new license) says:

"If you sent your application direct to us and you do not get your identity documents back within 2 weeks of receiving your photocard licence, please
phone DVLA Customer Enquiries on 0300 790 6801.
Note: unless you contact us within three months of the date you sent your application, it will be difficult for us and Royal Mail to carry out the necessary
investigation."

I really don't know how they or the Royal Mail would "carry out the necessary investigation" if the envelope wasn't being tracked in any way. Perhaps give it another week or so and call the DVLA again?

At some point, thought, you'll have to assume that the application (and associated documents) are lost.

BTW, when you say you "don’t have a valid passport", does that mean you have an expired one? If so, you can renew it online and then apply for your driving license on-line by quoting the new passport number. This approach is much safer than sending original documents in the post.

I genuinely had no idea that you could renew your current passport online, that is really neat thankyou so much, after a while it all reappeared it just got briefly lost in the royal mail sauce but it's all good, thankyou for your response!!!
I genuinely had no idea that you could renew your current passport online, that is really neat thankyou so much, after a while it all reappeared it just got briefly lost in the royal mail sauce but it's all good, thankyou for your response!!!

I'm glad to hear that it sorted itself out. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest