?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Sheeet. We dead

AlexanderHam
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
This one is even scarier / more awesome. The bit at 0:33 in the video; imagine it has machine guns on its hands

iodo345
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AlexanderHam)
Sheeet. We dead

Are these the robots which are going to take everyone's jobs?
Heyok
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is marvellous!!! I love it
Froppy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hopefully they will have mercy on us engineers T_T...The rest of you can fend for yourselves!
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AlexanderHam)
Sheeet. We dead

That was quite amazing. Hard to believe that it's real.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I for one welcome our new robot overlords.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by iodo345)
With more development and reduction in size, then something like a mixture of technologies:

Take a look at this video from about 9 months ago (the guy doing the filming is annoying though):

(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We're getting closer to the day that we have AI robots like the ones in Chappie.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Asimo is the type of development that ultimately humans are likely to first interact with:

iodo345
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Asimo is the type of development that ultimately humans are likely to first interact with:

This is scary.

Wouldn't unemployment reach huge levels resulting in civil unrest?

They talk about universal basic income but I can't see how that will work.
Ninja Squirrel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Those robots are so cool, I'd love to see what that one on two wheels can do at a skate park
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is scary.

Wouldn't unemployment reach huge levels resulting in civil unrest?

They talk about universal basic income but I can't see how that will work.
I agree. It's a brave new world and one which has no real precedent and few answers.

Automatic production of goods from mineral extraction to manufacture, storage and transporting them from the warehouse to our homes, is a dream manufacturers and distributors are racing each other to achieve. That should result in lower prices.....and previously undreamed of profits.

Trouble is manifold: if everyone is out of work, where does the money come from to buy the goods? Governments can only hand out what they receive in tax receipts.

However if large numbers of people are out of work, they do not pay taxes. The big corporations making the profits, do everything they can to avoid/evade paying tax. So where does a government get the income to keep infrastructure and services funded?

Huge civil unrest, immigration, climate change, pollution, arms escalation........interesting and not a little troubling times ahead.

Everyone is jostling for position.

Forget the arguments over Brexit, controlling borders and the EU courts. It's all a gamble over how governments are going to deal with the challenges.
iodo345
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
I agree. It's a brave new world and one which has no real precedent and few answers.

Automatic production of goods from mineral extraction to manufacture, storage and transporting them from the warehouse to our homes, is a dream manufacturers and distributors are racing each other to achieve. That should result in lower prices.....and previously undreamed of profits.

Trouble is manifold: if everyone is out of work, where does the money come from to buy the goods? Governments can only hand out what they receive in tax receipts.

However if large numbers of people are out of work, they do not pay taxes. The big corporations making the profits, do everything they can to avoid/evade paying tax. So where does a government get the income to keep infrastructure and services funded?

Huge civil unrest, immigration, climate change, pollution, arms escalation........interesting and not a little troubling times ahead.

Everyone is jostling for position.

Forget the arguments over Brexit, controlling borders and the EU courts. It's all a gamble over how governments are going to deal with the challenges.
Yeah I actually agree with this but am not sure when a lot of these issues will occur. I think civil unrest is definitely likely in the next 30-50 years due to these issues.

Automation is scary especially if it becomes used in warfare. I can't see peace lasting forever. Some people I think are brainwashed into believing it can.

Some say we are living in the 1930s with unemployment problems and uncertainty. Would you agree?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads