The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I did go to citizens advice as I have my tribunal next week; but they don't have anyone to help me. I have been advised to fill in another - it's so depressing. :frown:
Reply 61
blahbloo
And when filling out the form with her; imagine your worst worst worst day ever.

This is actually fraud. By doing this, you're saying you need more help than you actually do. Mine has been done on an average day and I've explained better and worse days.
Reply 62
Titch89
This is actually fraud. By doing this, you're saying you need more help than you actually do. Mine has been done on an average day and I've explained better and worse days.

Not really; cos I didn't actually lie about anything. I just said several things had happened as a result of my disability; and this woman just said lets put this in, etc. Besides I'm pretty sure a lot of people have done worse than this. :rolleyes:
Reply 63
blahbloo
Not really; cos I didn't actually lie about anything. I just said several things had happened as a result of my disability; and this woman just said lets put this in, etc. Besides I'm pretty sure a lot of people have done worse than this. :rolleyes:

Doing it on your wost day IS lying.
Reply 64
I lost. :frown: They claim that if I use pads / nappies I wouldn't have the issues I do. Er, does my dignity not matter than?

I am so tempted to make a complaint - the bulding was inaccessible (I said no stairs - what do they do? hold the tribunal in a place where you have to use stairs to enter the building) and they had no idea exactly what any of my disabilities mean.
Reply 65
What disability have you got then? Did you have proper support- as in someone else representing you? :s-smilie:
Reply 66
I'm partially sighted with bowel problems. I couldn't find anyone to represent me - I have recently moved and CAB don't deal with DLA.
Titch89
I'm partially sighted with bowel problems. I couldn't find anyone to represent me - I have recently moved and CAB don't deal with DLA.

All the forms are assessed by doctors.
They use a rigid formula based on need/help 20 minutes at least 3 times a day.
If you don't fill in your form, as if it were the worst case, and use the 20 minutes/3 times a day mantra to every question you will not get it.
It isn't fair
It may be playing the system
That's just the way it works.
Reply 68
hypocriticaljap
All the forms are assessed by doctors.
They use a rigid formula based on need/help 20 minutes at least 3 times a day.
If you don't fill in your form, as if it were the worst case, and use the 20 minutes/3 times a day mantra to every question you will not get it.
It isn't fair
It may be playing the system
That's just the way it works.

This is incorrect. I got awarded DLA on the basis that I need help getting dressed and showering. I do not need to do these activities 3 times a day and they take more than 20 minutes.

IUf what you say is true, then why has my friend been awarded DLA on the basis that her imapirment makes it hard to cook a meal?

Doing the form on your worst day is fraud. It's obvious if you do this too.
Without wishing to question the obvious, how come you're saying that you got awarded DLA on the basis of needing help to get dressed and showered, but are saying you've not been awarded DLA?

Or do you mean you've got lower rate and think you should have one of the higher rates? In which case the guidance may be very relevant to you.

If you've got to appeal and still be turned down, it may be time to reconsider that you are possibly more able than you think you are.
Reply 70
I should be on mid rate care. I am not more able than they claim I am now - I need help constantly day & night. They have somehow decided that I don't have the issues I do have and told me that wearing pads or nappies solves everything and removes the need for help - it doesn't.

I am now also having problems with my bladder, due to side effects of medication I took months ago.

They not understand any of my disabilities at all. Anyone who knows what nystagmus is will tell you that it does affect one's ability to walk down stairs - they say it doesn't.
Titch89
I have a condition which means that I struggle to do basic every day things such as cook, read and go out safely. (as in, go out without almost being run over or wandering off) According to the DWP, there's sod all wrong with me and are basically telling me to get on with my life.

Is there any reason why it's so hard to get?

Have you had their assesment?
Has the psychological report and psychologist report given to them?
&& Allowed them to access your medical records?

Have to take medication?
etcetc?
Theyre really clamping down on it.

Im entitled to it, but I have alot of people working with me so there was plently of evidence and back up the claim.

xox
They arew horrible sometimes though, they asked my ex's mum, infront of her child (12), how she can manage to change her tampon and explain. =/

I had an okay experience with them though, I sent my form off, had an interveiw/assesment thing, got middle rate care.

Though like ive said, I do have a health team working with me, backing everything up all the way, have had for 6 years.
Reply 73
SophieLouise19
Have you had their assesment?
Has the psychological report and psychologist report given to them?
&& Allowed them to access your medical records?

Have to take medication?
etcetc?
Theyre really clamping down on it.

Im entitled to it, but I have alot of people working with me so there was plently of evidence and back up the claim.

xox

I ve never had an assessment from them. I have started takng medication; which I'm having trouble doing myself. (well, eye drops) Any reports I've had, the DWP have seen. (apart from the one received just after the Christmas break)

My problem is that I don't see any medical people - no-one can do anything to help me with any of my disabilities. They tried what they could when I was first diagnosed; but nothing helps.
Reply 74
Titch89

Doing the form on your worst day is fraud. It's obvious if you do this too.

Interestingly, this is also what my disability adviser at university suggested (well, she didn't say "fill it is as if it's your worse day" as such but I mentioned that I wasn't going to focus on the epilepsy much as it's well controlled but she said something like it's still important to mention what it's like at its worst). Along those lines.

Anyway, I'm claiming now. I thought long and hard about it. Since going back to university and living in my own place I have been struggling in certain areas, especially cooking my own meals, so probably do deserve it. I just don't like the fact that people who need it even more than I don't aren't able to receive it. But I can't help that it's a crap system :frown:

I'm quite confident my claim will be succesful. My adviser thinks I'm entitled to it on the bipolar alone (so the problems with dyspraxia and the effects of the medication for my epilepsy are, for want of a better word, "bonuses"). I'm probably going to do my final year part-time if I'm allowed so, as I'll have limited funding and will be relying on my own savings for two years, a little bit of DLA is welcome even if it is just lower-rate care.

As evidence I'm providing the psychologist who diagnosed me with bipolar and dyspraxia (back in 07) as a contact. So that will hopefully add weight. Better than a GP who doesn't know me.

Will update on progress. Good luck to anyone who is applying/appealing now.
Reply 75
I am now considering reapplying. I now have the problem of having no such thing as an average day.

My depression is also back and I'm so unpredictable right now.
Titch89

Dont you need the most help on your worst days??
Reply 77
fairy spangles
Dont you need the most help on your worst days??

Yes. But it's fraud by doing the forms on your worst days.
Reply 78
i have had a motorbike crash on christmas day
my left eyeball was broken in half and i am now more than half blind
waiting on glass eye being installed i think
(other eye has blurry vision and photophobia (excess sensitivity to light)
i have damaged a nerve on the left side of the brain which means i have totally lost hearing on left side as well
the surgeon explained to me that my balance and coordination were bad because of this and i have problems judging speed and depth (crossing a road is like hell and drivers just think im drunk because most of my injuries are not visable on the outside and blast the horn if i cant get out of the way fast enough
i have skull fractures and blinding headaches regularly every time my painkillers wear off
the pain killers are also causing me stomach problems because i have been takin them for 6 weeks now
the sight and hearing loss is permanent and uncurable ,currently living on £66 a week and intend to claim dla after 3months
i cant read or watch tv without headaches and my sense of timing is gone
people tell me i talk slower since the accident and stutter as well
i cant even think properly anymore and it takes me ages to do everything that used to be simple like even reading signs or maps
i am unable to work in this condition but not looking forward to makig a claim for dla after reading about problems other people have who may have even worse problems than i do

is there any point even applying with these injuries or is it jut a waste of time and effort ?
Yes, but get someone from citizens advice to go over the form. People who fill it in themselves without advice tend to not know what they are doing and end up with nothing.

Latest