The Student Room Group

Super dumb maths question

So i'm watching exam solutions on Parametric equations and Cartesian
equation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=261&v=cHeWFLFODwQ

When converting from Parametric to Cartesian with trig functions, he said; chose an equation that is independent of any other trig function. Im not really sure what he means by this.

Also are Cartesian equations, equations with only x and y?
if not could you please explain to me what makes a Cartesian equation a Cartesian equation and what makes a parametric equation a parametric equation?

-Sorry if this is really obvious. I just want to make sure im not assuming anything.
Original post by joyoustele
So i'm watching exam solutions on Parametric equations and Cartesian
equation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=261&v=cHeWFLFODwQ

When converting from Parametric to Cartesian with trig functions, he said; chose an equation that is independent of any other trig function. Im not really sure what he means by this.

Also are Cartesian equations, equations with only x and y?
if not could you please explain to me what makes a Cartesian equation a Cartesian equation and what makes a parametric equation a parametric equation?

-Sorry if this is really obvious. I just want to make sure im not assuming anything.

He chose cos(2θ)=12sin2(θ)\cos(2\theta) = 1-2 \sin^2 (\theta) because clearly the LHS is just yy and the on the RHS we only have sin(θ)\sin(\theta) which is dependent on xx. You wouldn't want something like 2cos2(θ)12\cos^2(\theta) - 1 on the RHS because this cosθ\cos \theta doesn't depend on yy nor xx so you'd have a hard time (in most cases, not so much here) figuring out how to express it in terms of x,yx,y

Yes a Cartesian eq. is one on the usual xy plane that has x and y as the only variables. (for 2-D anyway)

A parametric equation is one that has the main variables of interest dependent on a parameter (or more), which in this case is θ\theta
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
He chose cos(2θ)=12sin2(θ)\cos(2\theta) = 1-2 \sin^2 (\theta) because clearly the LHS is just yy and the on the RHS we only have sin(θ)\sin(\theta) which is dependent on xx. You wouldn't want something like 2cos2(θ)12\cos^2(\theta) - 1 on the RHS because this cosθ\cos \theta doesn't depend on yy nor xx so you'd have a hard time (in most cases, not so much here) figuring out how to express it in terms of x,yx,y

Yes a Cartesian eq. is one on the usual xy plane that has x and y as the only variables. (for 2-D anyway)

A parametric equation is one that has the main variables of interest dependent on a parameter (or more), which in this case is θ\theta

Parameter on x=2t-1 and y=t^2

is t?
Original post by joyoustele
Parameter on x=2t-1 and y=t^2

is t?

Yes, that's what you vary to draw out a curve on the xy-plane.

Quick Reply

Latest