The Student Room Group

I'm afriad of my a-level math teachers

Im doing math a-levels and I know when it comes to things like math its imperative that I reach out for help when I need it, but whenever I try going to my math teachers for help I just shy away from doing it.

I keep telling myself that no one will think that I'm dumb for asking for help as everyone is concentrating on themselves but yet still I shy away. This has lead to me hating math and therefore not doing as well as I would've liked, for example in December mocks I got a C. I know that I need to push through my negative feelings but its just frustrating that I'm like this sometimes.

Any advice to stop being hesitant to ask for help and get over myself?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by flower girl
Im doing math a-levels and I know when it comes to things like math its imperative that I reach out for help when I need it, but whenever I try going to my math teachers for help I just shy away from doing it.

I keep telling myself that no one will think that I'm dumb for asking for help as everyone is concentrating on themselves but yet still I shy away. This has lead to me hating math and therefore not doing as well as I would've liked, for example in December mocks I got a C. I know that I need to push through my negative feelings but its just frustrating that I'm like this sometimes.

Any advice to stop being hesitant to ask for help and get over myself?

I know I find it easier to ask for help via email, have you tried doing that?
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I know I find it easier to ask for help via email, have you tried doing that?

No but thats definitely a good idea :smile:
Reply 3
Force yourself to take the first step for the sake of your future self. You will not regret having done so. And if they explain something and you don't understand what they said, do NOT just nod and pretend you know what they mean as this will further discourage you from asking for help later in time. It is imperative that you push though that awkwardness or whatever it is you are feeling until your question is answered. Again, you will not regret having done so
Reply 4
Original post by KWad
Force yourself to take the first step for the sake of your future self. You will not regret having done so. And if they explain something and you don't understand what they said, do NOT just nod and pretend you know what they mean as this will further discourage you from asking for help later in time. It is imperative that you push though that awkwardness or whatever it is you are feeling until your question is answered. Again, you will not regret having done so

I'll try my best I really want to do well I can't let something like this hold me back
It's normal to feel that way. Most of the time, I feel that I don't speak up unless the teacher is right next to me or is talking to me.

Well, honestly, as a nervous person myself, I'm not sure what to say.

In the past times I spoke up in class was when I genuinely didn't care about other's opinions, cause I knew at the end of the day, nobody actually cares and they're all focusing on themselves .(did u know that everyone else is also self-conscious just like you?! Lol).

I mean even if people think you are dumb, wouldn't they think you are smart afterwards if you got good grades from constantly asking for help from the teacher.

And even if they still think you're dumb, the world won't end don't worry. I mean personally, one time in class while others were on Q13 or q5, I was stuck on q1 and the teacher said out loud(when the whole class waa silent), not intentionally, that I'm on q1. ( I found this embarrassing, but yeah I got over it super quickly)

And honestly, if you still cannot speak up in class, it's alright. Other options are available like for example you could possibly ask the teacher for help after class finishes and no-one is watching or you could self improve through maths videos online. It's also fine if you don't find this helpful. Sigh. I'm in yr12 right now.
Reply 6
Original post by JeniusJeni
It's normal to feel that way. Most of the time, I feel that I don't speak up unless the teacher is right next to me or is talking to me.

Well, honestly, as a nervous person myself, I'm not sure what to say.

In the past times I spoke up in class was when I genuinely didn't care about other's opinions, cause I knew at the end of the day, nobody actually cares and they're all focusing on themselves .(did u know that everyone else is also self-conscious just like you?! Lol).

I mean even if people think you are dumb, wouldn't they think you are smart afterwards if you got good grades from constantly asking for help from the teacher.

And even if they still think you're dumb, the world won't end don't worry. I mean personally, one time in class while others were on Q13 or q5, I was stuck on q1 and the teacher said out loud(when the whole class waa silent), not intentionally, that I'm on q1. ( I found this embarrassing, but yeah I got over it super quickly)

And honestly, if you still cannot speak up in class, it's alright. Other options are available like for example you could possibly ask the teacher for help after class finishes and no-one is watching or you could self improve through maths videos online. It's also fine if you don't find this helpful. Sigh. I'm in yr12 right now.

Thanks, its tiring being so nervous all the time, it's good knowing I'm not the only one lol. I've decided ill be attending some math workshops as I feel like there are less people there!!

Quick Reply

Latest