The Student Room Group

A level stress help

Help! I’m so stressed for my a levels and can’t sit and revise without having a break down, I’ve always been a hard worker… been on top of my work for the past 2 years. But I’ve always gotten Ds and Cs. I’ve just accepted my fate as to being a dumb student… as I revise and get bad grades despite trying all the methods people on the student room have recommended and YouTube/ teachers etc. Anyways back on topic… I’m super stressed as I don’t wanna see a D on my result card.
I don’t want 9 exams to determine the past 2 years worth of work 😭 but it is what it is.
I just need some one to say something positive
Reply 1
I can’t say anything about the outcome of your exams, but all I can say is that you will be the same person after them as your were before. If you are someone who works hard and can be counted on then you will find people that will recognise and value those qualities irrespective of the grades you get. You can only do your best, and no one can expect or ask for more, so try and stop stressing. If you feel the levels building up and threatening to boil over, then stop what you are doing, go and make a cup of tea or something, and give yourself a break.
If you’re doing essay subjects and you know the material, then the only thing preventing you from getting good grades is technique. Ask your friends who have been getting good grades to share their coursework and other essays for which they’ve got good marks. Look at the way they build their arguments and formulate their paragraphs. Try and make bullet point plans for each essay which could be adapted to another question on the same topic. This shouldn’t take long if you are, as you say, on top of the work and can make a real difference to your grades.
Wishing you the best of luck.🍀🤞🏻
Reply 2
What subjects are you doing ?
Reply 3
Original post by Jess_Lomas
What subjects are you doing ?

Biology chemistry and maths
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Same subjects I did :smile:
Wishing you luck, hope it goes well. Hopefully all the work you've put in will show
If it doesn't you can always resit if you want to or find an alternative path which will work out for you as well
Reply 5
Heyy, don’t stress too much I know you will do your best <3
I gave my biology a level in feb/march, i understand the burden. Any specific chapters you are struggling with maybe I can help..
Reply 6
I had these issues too, still have them but less than before. I usually just use physicsandmathstutor.com. been helping me with parts I need more work on land the past papers help with building confidence.
(edited 11 months ago)
Help! I’m so stressed for my a levels and can’t sit and revise without having a break down, I’ve always been a hard worker… been on top of my work for the past 2 years. But I’ve always gotten Ds and Cs. I’ve just accepted my fate as to being a dumb student… as I revise and get bad grades despite trying all the methods people on the student room have recommended and YouTube/ teachers etc. Anyways back on topic… I’m super stressed as I don’t wanna see a D on my result card.
I don’t want 9 exams to determine the past 2 years worth of work 😭 but it is what it is.

Hey I am sorry to hear that your going through this difficult time. A levels are hard and it takes time for the content to click. Please dont worry about what happend in the past and try to focus on what you can do know to improve your grades I would recommend going through all of the chapters from your textbook and doing the respective questions from physics and maths. Try to do a past paper a day and identify the areas you need help with. You can always post questions on here to help you. Also take breaks here and there by going on walks.

You can always message if you need anything else bc I am doing the same subjects as you.
I hope you get through this and good luck :smile:
Reply 8
(Original post by Anonymous)Help! I’m so stressed for my a levels and can’t sit and revise without having a break down, I’ve always been a hard worker… been on top of my work for the past 2 years. But I’ve always gotten Ds and Cs. I’ve just accepted my fate as to being a dumb student… as I revise and get bad grades despite trying all the methods people on the student room have recommended and YouTube/ teachers etc. Anyways back on topic… I’m super stressed as I don’t wanna see a D on my result card.

hiya lovely, I completely understand what you are going through. I was literally like this last week.
I do the complete opposite subjects to you (essay based) so I cannot give much advice in terms of content or technique.
However, I can say that it will work out. I have a hard time believing in this myself but your exams do not determine you. I know that is one of the most cliche things to say, but it does make sense. The entire school system is built to marketise children and force them into competition for the best grades, but frankly that doesn't work with everyone. Being a dumb student is not going to have a relevance in about 2 months. Even if you are hoping to go to uni, the people who you will be with are the same people who would have experienced what you are going through, especially if it's in the same course. I personally hated STEM subjects because I found them hard, and there's not a doubt in my mind that doesn't think lots of others are experiencing the same panic as you are. Trying to convince yourself that it will be ok and 'everything works out' is difficult, I do understand that. But trying to convince this instead of being a retreatist will be far more beneficial for your mental health. Putting pressure on yourself is good, but not to the point where you doubt yourself and your ability to thrive in the future. Remember, you may be a 'dumb student' but that doesn't make you a dumb person. A good student is someone who conforms and follows technique, not necessarily someone who knows more than you. That's why I do suggest that you follow others advice and just prioritise exam technique, because I have heard that it's the same with every year so you won't need to worry about the type of questions that could come up like I do with english literature.
I hope this gave you some ease with the stress. Do remember that you are not alone, not at all. People who are logging onto student room and scrolling through A-level chats are experiencing the same amount of stress just like you. i strongly encourage to take some time with your friends and family, even if you feel it might disrupt your revision. Your mental health should not be fuelled with guilt. It's cliche, but a healthy mind does serve greatly with exam stress.
Hope you feel better and good luck with the exams!! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by foreverrocking
Hey I am sorry to hear that your going through this difficult time. A levels are hard and it takes time for the content to click. Please dont worry about what happend in the past and try to focus on what you can do know to improve your grades I would recommend going through all of the chapters from your textbook and doing the respective questions from physics and maths. Try to do a past paper a day and identify the areas you need help with. You can always post questions on here to help you. Also take breaks here and there by going on walks.

You can always message if you need anything else bc I am doing the same subjects as you.
I hope you get through this and good luck :smile:

Awww thanks 😊 your sooo nice
It means a lot… but my parents have high expectations and I want to make them proud. I’m so sad that I couldn’t be the daughter they deserved :frown:
Reply 10
(Original post by Anonymous)Help! I’m so stressed for my a levels and can’t sit and revise without having a break down, I’ve always been a hard worker… been on top of my work for the past 2 years. But I’ve always gotten Ds and Cs. I’ve just accepted my fate as to being a dumb student… as I revise and get bad grades despite trying all the methods people on the student room have recommended and YouTube/ teachers etc. Anyways back on topic… I’m super stressed as I don’t wanna see a D on my result card.

hiya lovely, I completely understand what you are going through. I was literally like this last week.
I do the complete opposite subjects to you (essay based) so I cannot give much advice in terms of content or technique.
However, I can say that it will work out. I have a hard time believing in this myself but your exams do not determine you. I know that is one of the most cliche things to say, but it does make sense. The entire school system is built to marketise children and force them into competition for the best grades, but frankly that doesn't work with everyone. Being a dumb student is not going to have a relevance in about 2 months. Even if you are hoping to go to uni, the people who you will be with are the same people who would have experienced what you are going through, especially if it's in the same course. I personally hated STEM subjects because I found them hard, and there's not a doubt in my mind that doesn't think lots of others are experiencing the same panic as you are. Trying to convince yourself that it will be ok and 'everything works out' is difficult, I do understand that. But trying to convince this instead of being a retreatist will be far more beneficial for your mental health. Putting pressure on yourself is good, but not to the point where you doubt yourself and your ability to thrive in the future. Remember, you may be a 'dumb student' but that doesn't make you a dumb person. A good student is someone who conforms and follows technique, not necessarily someone who knows more than you. That's why I do suggest that you follow others advice and just prioritise exam technique, because I have heard that it's the same with every year so you won't need to worry about the type of questions that could come up like I do with english literature.
I hope this gave you some ease with the stress. Do remember that you are not alone, not at all. People who are logging onto student room and scrolling through A-level chats are experiencing the same amount of stress just like you. i strongly encourage to take some time with your friends and family, even if you feel it might disrupt your revision. Your mental health should not be fuelled with guilt. It's cliche, but a healthy mind does serve greatly with exam stress.
Hope you feel better and good luck with the exams!! :smile:

Omg thanks!! 😭🥰
You’re sooo kind… I hope your exams go well too!!
Awww thanks 😊 your sooo nice
It means a lot… but my parents have high expectations and I want to make them proud. I’m so sad that I couldn’t be the daughter they deserved :frown:

aww noo. I understand its difficult to have a strict parents who I have high expectations bc they sometimes dont get how difficult a levels can be and whats going on in your life. Just try as hard as you can

Hi,
I'm so sorry struggling with your revision however hopefully these tips are of use and can provide some assistance.

My advice would be try and speak with your teachers and express how you are struggling with revision and see if they can provide any assistance whether that is ideas on how to revise and ways that may benefit you for example. You have said above that you have tried multiple ways of revising maybe rather than just revising in one way have multiple different methods for example when I did exams I made flash cards, then watch YouTube videos that summarised ideas on things I was struggling with and then with all this knowledge answered practice questions as this is a great way for you to get used to how the questions are structured for the real exam and may make you feel more comfortable when the time occurs. But also, is a great way to show which key parts you are struggling on.

Some ways to maybe limit the potential breakdowns (even though they are completely normal) would be to have a friend with you to revise as its a great way of holding yourself accountable of your work but can also be a benefit if you are struggling to then have someone to talk to and try and get rid of these worries.

Another example would be to have a revision timetable this will add some structure to your revision which can come in extremely useful to stop yourself from getting overwhelmed. When I used revision timetables I ensured to structure in breaks and time to see friends to ensure that I didn't burn out.

Hopefully some of these examples will have been of use. Good luck and try not to stress you'll do great!:smile:

Rebecca - 2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

I did biology and chemistry and the thing that worked best for me was to just sit down and do as many past papers and past exam questions as I could under timed conditions. Then I would mark them and really study the marks schemes to see where I was losing marks, then made a bank of phrases to memorise and use in the exams. After each practice paper I made a list of my weakest topics and went over them with teachers/friends/my notes/youtube and made sure I understood the content and why my answer was wrong.

Good luck!! I really want to emphasise that your best is enough no matter what grade you get. You are so much more than your grades so just keep working hard and be proud of all the effort you've put in and be proud for never giving up.

Quick Reply

Latest