The Student Room Group

Doubts about picking biology!!

So i'm currently picking my a level subjects to study for the next academic year and i really dont know if biology will be right for me. I want to be able to study at least one science - chemistry & physics are a definet no no. I would say im fairly average with biology in terms of understanding it, its not a subject that excites me but i feel as though its a subject that would be useful and i want to build on my scientific knowlege on that area- but i dont know if that'll be enough for me to enjoy learning it. Also im not in the triple science group now so im wondering if i'll even be able to cope with the content learned at a level. Helppp pleasee!!
Reply 1
Maths is a science :smile: and why do you want one of bio chem phys ? What career do toy want ? 🌝
Reply 2
Bio will be super hard currently doing it at A2 now, but if your willing to put in the work it's a great A level to have for university. Don't worry about the GCSE science too much, i did single science and ive managed to get a B predicted grade so i'm sure you will be fine.
If you dont have an interest in it and your understanding is average at GCSE then you probably wont be able to do ALevel biology. I took it in my first year of A-Levels and while I enjoyed all sciences before (I was in triple science, got A*,A,B in the three) in A Level I couldn't stand it. It isn't the sort of subject you should take for the sake of it being 'Useful'. You should do things you enjoy because at the end of the day its the people who don't enjoy what they're doing who drop out or who fail. Also it depends on what course you want to do in Uni to what subjects are useful or not. If you wanted to do a science in Uni then it's useful, otherwise something else entirely may be helpful. What were you considering?
I'm currently doing year 12 biology and I'm finding it really interesting and so far not too hard (although I know it will be harder when I do papers!)
A level biology was a really big step up from gcse for me, a lot of the new key words do seem quite daunting and I really struggled on my first week but you have to be quite open minded and not panic whenever a really long word is introduced!
You're lucky to be on the new gcse spec because it won't be as big a jump for you
If you're prepared to work hard for it then I'm sure you'll do great

Quick Reply

Latest