The Student Room Group

I regret my A levels and want to retake a year

Just finished Y12 doing Maths, Biology, and Spanish.
I hate spanish and want to drop it and pick up Physics and/or Chemistry as I want to study a science at uni but am unsure if I'm confident that I like biology enough to study it for another 3-4 years. This would involve me taking another year (if my college allows me).
I've always liked the sciences so I don't really know why I didn't choose better subjects.
Now I have to weigh up delaying my life by a year and putting myself at a social disadvantage or picking a degree/career I'm not confident I will enjoy (if my college allows me).
Hi @charlie.campbell,

I'm a second year chemistry student at Lancaster uni and I would just like to offer you some advice based on my experiences.

First of all, I want to say that it's completely normal to have uncertainties and doubts about your future path, especially at this stage when you've just finished Y12. It's great that you've identified your interests in the sciences, and it's never too late to make adjustments to your academic journey.

Considering your situation, let me share my experience as a second-year chemistry student who also redid one year at sixth form. I faced a similar dilemma when choosing my subjects, and I understand the stress of deciding between following your passion and ensuring you're on the right track for your future studies.

Now, concerning the possibility of taking another year at college to pick up Physics and/or Chemistry, it might seem like a delay in your life, but it's crucial to see the bigger picture. Taking an extra year to study the subjects you are genuinely interested in can be an investment in your future happiness and career satisfaction. It's better to make a well-informed decision now rather than feeling stuck in a degree/career you're not passionate about. Today, I am really glad I took the time to figure out which subjects I wanted to study further.

As for the social aspect, keep in mind that everyone's journey is unique. Whether you start university at 18 or 19 doesn't define your success or your ability to make friends. Many students take gap years or switch degrees and start again. In my flat of 6 in first year, 3 of us were one year older and no one really cares. I also know others who went to uni at 20/21 and they have also not had problems making friends. What matters most is choosing the right path for you, when you are ready for it.

If you're confident that you want to pursue a science-related degree at university, having Physics and/or Chemistry as your A-level subjects will undoubtedly provide a strong foundation for your studies. That being said, maths and biology are both sciences so you may be accepted on some science courses without studying either chemistry or physics so make sure you check the entry requirements of the uni courses you are interested in.

Before making a final decision, I would advise speaking to your college advisors or career counsellors. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation. Additionally, try to talk to students currently studying the subjects you're interested in at university so you can learn their thoughts on the experience to see if it's something you're interested in.

Wishing you the best of luck in your academic journey!

-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest