The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE results going to be a barrier to Oxford?

I completed my GCSEs in Summer 2017 and my results were 789A*AAAAABB. I would love to do Mathematics at university, and I got a 9 at GCSE, however I am worried that my Bs in PE and French and shortage of A*s will let me down. Many have told me not to bother applying, but I was wondering if there was still a chance of getting in with the GCSEs I have.

As a side note, I'm taking Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Graphic Design at A-Level and I hope to achieve well in these.

Please let me know your thoughts, and be brutal if necessary :smile:
Original post by hollymartin30
I completed my GCSEs in Summer 2017 and my results were 789A*AAAAABB. I would love to do Mathematics at university, and I got a 9 at GCSE, however I am worried that my Bs in PE and French and shortage of A*s will let me down. Many have told me not to bother applying, but I was wondering if there was still a chance of getting in with the GCSEs I have.

As a side note, I'm taking Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Graphic Design at A-Level and I hope to achieve well in these.

Cambridge would probably be better, they don't put as much weight on GCSEs, but if Oxford is your goal then apply.
Original post by Mikasadoge
Cambridge would probably be better, they don't put as much weight on GCSEs, but if Oxford is your goal then apply.

Why do you say Cambridge is better?

There's reason to believe that if you can prove yourself for a level you'll have better chances at Cambridge with your gcses.
However, Oxford get you to sit the MAT so maybe that can be a way to prove that you've improved. From what I've heard Oxford look at gcses more thoroughly than Cambridge.
They don’t pay THAt much attention to GCSEs to be honest. Just get the good a levels
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
There's reason to believe that if you can prove yourself for a level you'll have better chances at Cambridge with your gcses.
However, Oxford get you to sit the MAT so maybe that can be a way to prove that you've improved. From what I've heard Oxford look at gcses more thoroughly than Cambridge.

Interesting. Thank you!
Why do you say Cambridge is better?

Like I said, they don't put as much weight on your GCSEs compared to Oxford.
Reply 7
For Oxford maths, the MAT plays a much bigger role than GCSEs.
In general Oxford (and I would guess too Cambridge) take a very holistic approach - they look at everything - GCSEs, predictions, test-scores, personal statement and interview. I wouldn't say your grades necessarily rule you out - but you'll need to do well in everything else. You may have already checked this - but it may be the case that your choice of A levels could be a problem. Graphic design isn't a Russell Group 'facilitating' subject - I don't know where this leaves you for Oxford, Cambridge, Russell Groups - but definitely worth checking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending