The Student Room Group

Oxford teacher investigated for 'misgendering' to sue school

An Oxford teacher was disciplined at his school after misgendering a trans pupil. 27 year old Joshua Sutcliffe was investigated after he said "well done girls" to a group of students, which included the pupil who identifies as a boy.

In a letter to the head teacher he wrote: "As a Christian, I do not share your belief in the ideology of transgenderism...I do not believe that young children should be encouraged to self-select a 'gender' which may be different from their biological sex.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Should the teacher have been disciplined? Should he have apologised?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good man
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
FINALLy someone standing up to the trans cult. Especially in schools. They are eroding homosexual kids by convincing them stereotypical gender traits mean they are trans. Taking puberty blockers is harmful.
I would say its slightly OTT to disipline him for saying "well done girls" as it was most likely said with good intentions and he apologised afterwards. I am all for expressing yourself/being transgender if thats how you feel but I think the worlds going abit mad and people are being too strict with terms eg - stop calling pregnant women, 'women' and instead refering to them as 'pregnant people' ...
I can see an argument for his phrasing having been unintentional, so disciplining is perhaps a little extreme. I do think he should apologise though; he claims it to be against his beliefs, but I'd argue that that's largely irrelevant to how he should be dealing with the student and whether he uses their preferred gender terms. It's not like it would be acceptable for him to be homophobic towards them because of his beliefs, for instance.
Basically, he got disciplined for making an honest mistake. What is wrong with humanity? If it had been a malicious intentional act then maybe I would have said he deserved it, but not in this case.
Reply 7
I think his initial statement was general and not intentionally exclusive, however his letter regarding the fact that he 'doesn't believe' is trans people is bs. So whilst the school overreacted to the initial statement, they are not overreacting to his transphobic views. This news story would be a lot different if the kid in question was gay, for example.
he should be given a Knighthood in the New Year Honours for Services to Reality.
I'd say going on national TV and repeatedly misgendering the same pupil makes it clear he isn't actually sorry at all.

So far the only side to this story is what he has gone public with. He claims it is over a single incident but his behaviour since implies otherwise.
I think there's probably more to this story than what is being reported in the press.
People are WAY too offended these days
Schoolchildren, like convicts in gaols, have been presented with a marvellous tool by the trans zealots for winding up teachers, disrupting schools and clogging up the courts.

No teacher should be disciplined for calling a pupil who owns a penis a boy, or a pupil who owns a vagina a girl.
Seems odd that he wrote to his boss about ideological disagreement rather than saying 'oops - won't do it again'

probably more to it than meets the eye
Original post by PQ
I'd say going on national TV and repeatedly misgendering the same pupil makes it clear he isn't actually sorry at all.

So far the only side to this story is what he has gone public with. He claims it is over a single incident but his behaviour since implies otherwise.

Tut tut, how do you ‘he’ is his preferred pronoun?
Original post by Joinedup
Seems odd that he wrote to his boss about ideological disagreement rather than saying 'oops - won't do it again'

probably more to it than meets the eye

If your boss told you that you must only address women by the appellation 'Whore' would you say 'oops- won't do it again' or would you tell him you thought it wrong?
Original post by Underscore__
Tut tut, how do you ‘he’ is his preferred pronoun?

It's nice that ladies like you find this so funny.

You are such fragile little madams.
Original post by Good bloke
If your boss told you that you must only address women by the appellation 'Whore' would you say 'oops- won't do it again' or would you tell him you thought it wrong?

Except in this case, unlike your example, the young lad wants to be referred to as a boy. It's more akin to people saying they don't like their first name, call them by their middle name instead if you want to draw a parallel.
Original post by PQ
I'd say going on national TV and repeatedly misgendering the same pupil e.

He would claim to be refusing to mis-sex the child, and he'd be right.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
It's more akin to people saying they don't like their first name,

Not really. People don't get disciplined over getting someone's name wrong. This is regressive liberal coercive bullying at work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending