The Student Room Group

Application for medical school

HI ,I am doing A-Level now.Last year i came from Italy and i have done 5 GCSE here. I got 9 in Maths , 4 in English and A in core science , additional science and psychology. I want to study Medicine.So, what do u think...How possibility have i got to get a place in a medical school...?Do u think my GCSE result is fine or i need to be worried about it..?
Reply 1
I recommend you think about retaking your English gcse as most medical schools require a minimum 6 but some a 5. There are other pathways to medicine like transfer schemes and such but those have their cons.
Original post by F.Dr. Sanzida
HI ,I am doing A-Level now.Last year i came from Italy and i have done 5 GCSE here. I got 9 in Maths , 4 in English and A in core science , additional science and psychology. I want to study Medicine.So, what do u think...How possibility have i got to get a place in a medical school...?Do u think my GCSE result is fine or i need to be worried about it..?

You won’t get into medicine with only 5 gcses and only a 4 in English
Reply 3
Original post by Gurdeepthelegend
You won’t get into medicine with only 5 gcses and only a 4 in English

Not all medical schools require 7+ GCSEs and for example oxford uni has no formal GCSEs requirements
Original post by Aj_ev012
Not all medical schools require 7 GCSEs and for example oxford uni has no formal GCSEs requirements

Still if I were you I would consider retaking English and maybe considering other alternative career paths
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Gurdeepthelegend
Still if I were you I would retaking English and maybe considering other alternative career paths

I highly second that
Not all medical schools require 7+ GCSEs and for example oxford uni has no formal GCSEs requirements

Bad example. Oxford is GCSE heavy :wink:

But you are right, there are some which only require 5 passes for example (very, very few!)
I would recommend retaking English but otherwise your GCSE results should be good enough. Because you have done 5 GCSEs, I would suggest you phone/email the universities to see what adjustments can be made for your circumstances. It's the safest option :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by GrandExecutioner
Bad example. Oxford is GCSE heavy :wink:

But you are right, there are some which only require 5 passes for example (very, very few!)

Yh but it doesn’t have an FORMAL GCSEs requirements

Here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf#page30 page 29
Yh but it doesn’t have an FORMAL GCSEs requirements

Here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf#page30 page 29

That means nothing really. What is the point in applying for a med school just because you meet the entry requirements but knowing you won't be offered an interview? The average candidate who is invited for interview at Oxford has around 8/9 A*s and the majority who are successful have double digit A*s.

Is this example suitable for the OP?

The majority of medicine applicants choose their medical schools based on the selection procedure NOT the entry requirements. For example, if you have a low UKCAT, even if you meet the entry requirements, you wouldn't apply for a UKCAT-heavy university such as Newcastle.

I hope that makes sense.

(Also, while they say they do not have formal GCSE requirements, they do say this on their website:

"...for the academic demands of the course, and if Biology, Physics or Mathematics have not been taken to A-level (or equivalent), applicants will need to have received a basic education in those subjects (for example at least a grade C/4 at GCSE, Intermediate 2 or Standard grade (Credit) or equivalent; the GCSE Dual Award Combined Sciences is also appropriate). " )
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GrandExecutioner
That means nothing really. What is the point in applying for a med school just because you meet the entry requirements but knowing you won't be offered an interview? The average candidate who is invited for interview at Oxford has around 8/9 A*s and the majority who are successful have double digit A*s.

Is this example suitable for the OP?

The majority of medicine applicants choose their medical schools based on the selection procedure NOT the entry requirements. For example, if you have a low UKCAT, even if you meet the entry requirements, you wouldn't apply for a UKCAT-heavy university such as Newcastle.

I hope that makes sense.

(Also, while they say they do not have formal GCSE requirements, they do say this on their website:

"...for the academic demands of the course, and if Biology, Physics or Mathematics have not been taken to A-level (or equivalent), applicants will need to have received a basic education in those subjects (for example at least a grade C/4 at GCSE, Intermediate 2 or Standard grade (Credit) or equivalent; the GCSE Dual Award Combined Sciences is also appropriate). " )

I know all that, I was just simply stating the fact that there weren’t any. But it’s good that you mentioned it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending