The Student Room Group

What are your Christmas traditions?

Whilst Christmas might be at the same time for everyone, each persons's traditions certainly aren't the same, and lots of us have our quirky family traditions that we like to upload, but what are yours? :santa2:

My mum's favourite part of Christmas is Christmas Eve, so one of ours is to spend the day watching Elf and other films together, and just generally having a relaxed day :cracker:

One of the others that we seem to have acquired is a yearly bickering within the family about whether the tree should be tasteful or the 'christmas vomit' decorating approach... naturally I'm always on the latter side :mmm:
Reply 1
Boxing Day shopping, make use of all the sales.

Then end up not wearing half the stuff I buy.
Normally we have a starter of cappelletti before the main Christmas meal, but I don't think we will this year as it's a real faff to make (we do it by hand) :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by shadowdweller
Whilst Christmas might be at the same time for everyone, each persons's traditions certainly aren't the same, and lots of us have our quirky family traditions that we like to upload, but what are yours? :santa2:

My mum's favourite part of Christmas is Christmas Eve, so one of ours is to spend the day watching Elf and other films together, and just generally having a relaxed day :cracker:

One of the others that we seem to have acquired is a yearly bickering within the family about whether the tree should be tasteful or the 'christmas vomit' decorating approach... naturally I'm always on the latter side :mmm:

Unfortunately with the type of work I'm doing atm plus messing up my leave last year :facepalm: I only have the 25th and 26th off but we are probably going to arrange to have both my parents grandparents come to ours for a relaxed day filled with food and joy :h:

Then on the boxing day we now use it as a day just for our family - My parents, me, sis and our lovely minnie (dog) :redface: but we use to use the other days to visit uncles and aunties but I guess over time we all dont see each other as much :s-smilie:
I start to eat stilton toward the festive season. There is no reason for me to not eat it all year round, it's just a thing I do when Christmas is round the corner.

It is an absolutely top notch cheese.
Reply 5
Pigging out hee hee, already stocked up on the desserts.
My family like to engage with Christmas more than myself but that’s just because of a faith split. Out of courtesy, I tend to get involved though, with a few of their traditions:

Cheese and crackers night on Christmas Eve, and we have loads of tasty food.

Christmas dinner on the 25th and watching everyone opening presents at 9pm (they only open one from the stocking in the morning).

Then Boxing Day we have a walk with the dog and go to my auntie’s for a big friends and family meal.
Reply 7
Me and my family visit all our local garden centres to see all their Christmas decorations and that puts us more in the festive mood :h: we do that usually a week or two before Christmas.

Me and my mum have a sleepover a few days before Christmas and we watch Scrooge (1970) with a few drinks :smile: we've watched it every year since I was a kid and ever since I moved out 7 years ago, we have a sleepover whenever we watch it now :yep:
Reply 8
Every Christmas Day I play video games and eat a pizza
We don't have many traditions but we always do Midnight Mass (wherever in the country we are) and then go home and open all our presents :jebus:
My Muslim father throwing out any Christmas tree we attempt to buy (we have a predominantly Christian family here in England, and of course Christmas celebrations are simply a western festivity these days regardless of faith)
Reply 11
Since 2011 (year 3), I started to go out with my schoolmates for a Christmas performance. Here are the locations:
2011-12-21, 2012-12-?? and 2013-12-20: Around Choi Hung Estate (about 6-7 stops each year), 5:00 pm to 6:15 pm
2013-12-18: Plaza Hollywood, Diamond Hill, 3:30 pm to 4:15 pm
2014-12-19: Tai Chi Arena, Tak Long Estate, Kai Tak (I was accompanying the year 2-4 students on the keyboard), 2:30 pm to 3:00 pm
2015-12-17: (First time in secondary school) Amoy Plaza (outside the cinema), Kowloon Bay, 7:00 pm to 7:45 pm
2016-12-16: Outside Siu Sai Wan Plaza, Siu Sai Wan, 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm
2017-12-20: Outdoor Piazza, Ping Shek Estate, 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm
With a hiatus in 2018 due to IGCSE exam preparations (my class is the only class taking the exam, and the OLE, which I chose music, has pushed back a year), but I will be singing again in 2019!
Since 2011, I also go on trips with my family in Christmas.
2011: Osaka, Japan (4d3n)
2012: Melbourne, Australia (7d6n)
2013: Perth, Australia (6d5n)
2014: Adelaide and Sydney, Australia (9d8n)
2015: Singapore (5d4n)
2016: Switzerland (7d6n)
2017: Dubai, UAE (4d3n)
2018: New Zealand (6d5n)
(edited 5 years ago)
1544445157011-compressed.jpg.jpeg
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Xmas Eve pissup with the lads. The one time of year we are all in one place, so I love that. Boxing Night possup with the more local lads. new Year's meal out with the same bunch fo far-flung reprobates. Then we might not see each other till the next Xmas.
FB_IMG_1540712305968-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Quick Reply

Latest