The Student Room Group

A-Level Government and Politics

How hard is this in comparison to something like History? Also, i have to self-teach this subject- how long does this take, how hard is it and what does it involve?
Reply 1
I haven't done History so it's not something I can compare to that but personally I would say that Politics isn't totally easy but isn't too bad. I found it easier than Law but I have to say I'm not as good at it?!
I think it's easy to get your head round the syllabus and learn it. In the second year (dependent on exam board) but lots of examples is needed, in order to get a high grade.
I'm unsure how long it would take you, I presume it is one of the new A Levels? If you are motivated to learn and find it interesting then I would recommend it!
Reply 2
Original post by megwilks
I haven't done History so it's not something I can compare to that but personally I would say that Politics isn't totally easy but isn't too bad. I found it easier than Law but I have to say I'm not as good at it?!
I think it's easy to get your head round the syllabus and learn it. In the second year (dependent on exam board) but lots of examples is needed, in order to get a high grade.
I'm unsure how long it would take you, I presume it is one of the new A Levels? If you are motivated to learn and find it interesting then I would recommend it!

I am intending to do the AS and A2 in one year. Is that hard?
Reply 3
No not necessarily but I don't know the full picture.

There was a girl in my politics class last year who was in her third year at college doing AS and A2 in one year, so it can be done.

But, depends what else you are doing and whether you can fit in enough time for both. For example, I have 4 hours of lessons a week per subject, plus homework to do on top of that. Also, have you done A Levels before, as it is bit of a jump up from GCSE's?
Funnily enough I was thinking about teaching the course to myself and entering as an independent but felt I didn't have the motivation to teach it to myself!
Reply 4
No not necessarily but I don't know the full picture.

There was a girl in my politics class last year who was in her third year at college doing AS and A2 in one year, so it can be done.

But, depends what else you are doing and whether you can fit in enough time for both. For example, I have 4 hours of lessons a week per subject, plus homework to do on top of that. Also, have you done A Levels before, as it is bit of a jump up from GCSE's?
Funnily enough I was thinking about teaching the course to myself and entering as an independent but felt I didn't have the motivation to teach it to myself!

I have sat AS exams before and i am doing a-levels this year. I dont really know what it entails though so i am not sure
Reply 5
Ok, well I'm on the Edexcel exam board and taking the last year of the old style AS/A2 exams.

In the first year we did UK Politics, looking at the Constitution, Cabinet and Prime Minister, also Judges (but we didn't do that). Then we looked at Pressure Groups, Political Parties, Democracy and political participation. There were two exams with shorter 10 mark questions (I think?) and longer 40 mark questions.

In the second year you do two exams but have the choice over what topics to do, such as US, global or European politics. I think you can do two different or two similar ones. This year we have done US politics for both exams, similar to last year topic wise, so far have done Constitution, President, Congress and Supreme Court. Other exam I think is elections, political parties and racial and ethical politics.
Reply 6
Ok, well I'm on the Edexcel exam board and taking the last year of the old style AS/A2 exams.

In the first year we did UK Politics, looking at the Constitution, Cabinet and Prime Minister, also Judges (but we didn't do that). Then we looked at Pressure Groups, Political Parties, Democracy and political participation. There were two exams with shorter 10 mark questions (I think?) and longer 40 mark questions.

In the second year you do two exams but have the choice over what topics to do, such as US, global or European politics. I think you can do two different or two similar ones. This year we have done US politics for both exams, similar to last year topic wise, so far have done Constitution, President, Congress and Supreme Court. Other exam I think is elections, political parties and racial and ethical politics.

which do you think is better, U.S or global?
Reply 7

Oh yeah! So am i! I think we are doing People and Politics then Governign the UK for the AS. For A2, it is the USA we are doing something to do with Constitution and Electoral colleges etc.
Reply 8
Sounds like the same topics as me then^ I am really enjoying it and especially this year... wish I took the subject up sooner.

Epi_ I can't really comment much on which I prefer between those two as I haven't done Global politics. I have found US really interesting and wouldn't be adverse to learning about Global politics
Reply 9
Sounds like the same topics as me then^ I am really enjoying it and especially this year... wish I took the subject up sooner.

Epi_ I can't really comment much on which I prefer between those two as I haven't done Global politics. I have found US really interesting and wouldn't be adverse to learning about Global politics

Hw did you find revising for the AS part of it? How long did the studying take you?
We finished the syllabus by Easter I think and I started revising a bit after Easter holidays, then properly revising a few weeks after that. I was doing A2 for Law at the time, so did slightly more revision for that but I can't really remember how many hours a week I did, sorry.
It may not take you as long to get through the syllabus if you are just teaching yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest