The Student Room Group

Politics

Politics with btec extended diploma applied science?
Original post by internal-jasmine
Politics with btec extended diploma applied science?

For some uni, that would be a "No." For example, for Manchester's BA Politics and Modern History they say here that, "we consider the National Extended Diploma for entry, preferably in a subject relevant to this course. Entry requirements are based on achievement of the full National Extended Diploma with grades Dist, Dist, Dist, plus one A-level at Grade A in History, Government or Politics."

For other unis it shouldn't be an issue. For example, for Politics (all courses) at Nottingham they say here that they want, "Extended Diploma: DDM-DDD" without adding any caveats. The specific page on Politics and International Relations BA, here, restates "BTEC Extended Diploma" as being a valid "alternative qualification" but suggests that you contact the admissions team as, "The entry requirements for alternative qualifications can be quite specific; for example you may need to take certain modules and achieve a specified grade in those modules."

A better example might be Brunel's Politics BSc, here, for which they'll accept "BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma DDM", with no caveats.

Did you have any target unis in mind?
Original post by DataVenia
For some uni, that would be a "No." For example, for Manchester's BA Politics and Modern History they say here that, "we consider the National Extended Diploma for entry, preferably in a subject relevant to this course. Entry requirements are based on achievement of the full National Extended Diploma with grades Dist, Dist, Dist, plus one A-level at Grade A in History, Government or Politics."

For other unis it shouldn't be an issue. For example, for Politics (all courses) at Nottingham they say here that they want, "Extended Diploma: DDM-DDD" without adding any caveats. The specific page on Politics and International Relations BA, here, restates "BTEC Extended Diploma" as being a valid "alternative qualification" but suggests that you contact the admissions team as, "The entry requirements for alternative qualifications can be quite specific; for example you may need to take certain modules and achieve a specified grade in those modules."

A better example might be Brunel's Politics BSc, here, for which they'll accept "BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma DDM", with no caveats.

Did you have any target unis in mind?

Yeah I was thinking maybe oxford PPE but I understand it may be a stretch, any top uni to be honest
Original post by internal-jasmine
Yeah I was thinking maybe oxford PPE but I understand it may be a stretch, any top uni to be honest

Ah. Oxford's out, I'm afraid. They make this clear here, where they say: "Because of the academic nature of the undergraduate courses at Oxford, most Applied General qualifications (such as BTECs, Cambridge Technical Diplomas or UAL Diplomas) are unlikely to be suitable for making a competitive application by themselves, though they could be considered if taken alongside A-Levels, depending on the course applied for." :frown:

Pick what you consider to be a "top uni", and visit the web page for any politics courses which are interest to you. Then read the "entry requirements" section. Note that the part where they talk about BTECs is often a little buried. If it's unclear whether they'll accept your particular BTEC, drop an e-mail to the admission team to confirm.
Original post by DataVenia
Ah. Oxford's out, I'm afraid. They make this clear here, where they say: "Because of the academic nature of the undergraduate courses at Oxford, most Applied General qualifications (such as BTECs, Cambridge Technical Diplomas or UAL Diplomas) are unlikely to be suitable for making a competitive application by themselves, though they could be considered if taken alongside A-Levels, depending on the course applied for." :frown:

Pick what you consider to be a "top uni", and visit the web page for any politics courses which are interest to you. Then read the "entry requirements" section. Note that the part where they talk about BTECs is often a little buried. If it's unclear whether they'll accept your particular BTEC, drop an e-mail to the admission team to confirm.

Thanks will do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending