The Student Room Group

Apple admits that they deliberately slow down old iPhones

The tech giant Apple have confirmed that updates in iOS intentionally reduce speed in older phones in order to "preserve the life of batteries as they degrade."

You can read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Did you already have a feeling they were doing this? Are you surprised? Would this stop you from buying an iPhone?
Reply 1
Here is a good youtuber who owns a repair shop that fixes apple devices.

He talks about all of the dirty tactics that apple uses and how they try to make the lives of repair shops extremely hard.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup/videos
Whilst annoying, if the reasoning behind it is true they're actually extending your phone's lifespan meaning you can hold onto it for longer (If you're not fussed about it being slower).
Reply 3
Original post by Danny Dorito
The tech giant Apple have confirmed that updates in iOS intentionally reduce speed in older phones in order to preserve the life of batteries as they degrade.

Sure it is. It's definitely not intended to nudge people into buying a brand new Iphone every year or so. It's purely to preserve your [conveniently non-replacable] battery.
Alternatively, should you replace the battery with a new one, regardless of the iOS, your phone will be up and running like it should
Original post by TaintedLight
Alternatively, should you replace the battery with a new one, regardless of the iOS, your phone will be up and running like it should

Can't replace batteries on Apple devices can you?

Planned obsolescence obviously goes on, only the most myopic of Apple fanboys would argue otherwise - this shouldn't be any sort of surprise.
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Whilst annoying, if the reasoning behind it is true they're actually extending your phone's lifespan meaning you can hold onto it for longer (If you're not fussed about it being slower).

With all due respect - do you honestly believe that the most profitable company in the world is putting the needs of its customers first by extending the life of their phones so that they wait longer before forking out an outrageous amount for the latest device?
The intent is good, and the intent alone I'm perfectly fine with.

However, what I'm not fine with is the fact that they have to do this in the first place. Why is this something that's needed in as little as a year for, what is supposed to be, a premium device?

The Nokia 6500 slide I owned for a good 3 or 4 years? Didn't need bottle necking because a degrading battery
Galaxy S1? About 3 years... Didn't need bottle necking because of a degrading battery.
Xperia Z1? Daily Driver for about 2 years (accidentally broke the sim tray), emergency phone that I leave in my car for another 2 years (which exposes it to very low temperatures in the winter, and very high temperatures in the summer, which should be pretty bad for the battery). Doesn't need bottle necking because of a degrading battery (never mind the fact that this thing could trade blows with dumb phones when it came to battery life.)
Xperia Z5P? DD for 2 years before dropping it. Didn't need bottle necking because of a degrading battery.

(NOTE: "Didn't need bottle necking" meaning that it didn't need bottle necking to such a degree that it'd noticeably impact performance

So why the hell is this being done to iPhones as early as a year after release? It doesn't matter if the intent is good or not, this just straight up shouldn't be something that has to be done. Evidently Apple is using batteries of questionable quality if they're degrading to the point of causing issue in such a small space of time. At least they're not blowing up I guess...

Of course, that's assuming this whole thing isn't a cover up for their anti-consumer practice of nudging people onto a new phone by slowing down older models.
this is why one day my iphone 4s never turned back on fgs
Reply 9
Won't this make people not buy Apple again? Or they are that idiots?
My old Samsung ended up being very slowed down and I never bought Samsung again.
Original post by stoyfan

He talks about all of the dirty tactics that apple uses and how they try to make the lives of repair shops extremely hard.

A fellow Rossman fan :smile:
More is being made of it than it deserves. If they have a problem it is transparency, They ought to have simply allowed the option of continued performance or longer battery life and let the owner make the choice.

Ofc if phone companies werent so greedy they would have expandable memory slots and removable batteries ....
Not that deep lol
Original post by stoyfan

HA! Knew who you were talking about before I clicked

Ever find you get a weird reaction from people if you say you go home and watch some youtube to unwind... as if the only thing on there is moron level trash?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

To be fair, while you (probably) can’t relplace the battery yourself, it’s still possible to take it to a repair shop and get it replaced there, and the cost of doing so is considerably smaller than buying a new phone. It does help Apple quite a bit that people immediately think of buying a new iPhone rather than replacing their battery, but provided a battery replacement actually does speed up the phone, what more can they really do?
I’m not surprised to be fair. My old iPhone 4S was so incredibly slow, it took about 20 minutes to turn on so I upgraded to an iPhone 7 and now this one is starting to show signs of slowing down and it’s only a year old.
This isn't news.

This has been known for years.
Reply 17
It's all for money they do this so you can upgrade...all phone companies probably do this.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

Planned obsolescence obviously goes on, only the most myopic of Apple fanboys would argue otherwise - this shouldn't be any sort of surprise.

eh..?

Original post by charlesn202
To be fair, while you (probably) can’t relplace the battery yourself, it’s still possible to take it to a repair shop and get it replaced there, and the cost of doing so is considerably smaller than buying a new phone. It does help Apple quite a bit that people immediately think of buying a new iPhone rather than replacing their battery, but provided a battery replacement actually does speed up the phone, what more can they really do?

This!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending