The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ucl ucas mistake

Hi guys I forgot to declare my 2 month stint at an old uni when I applied to ucl. They have already given me an offer and I will be informing them of my mistake. Wondering what the consequences are due to this
Well it will be at their discretion how to manage it.

You will also need to notify any other universities you applied to - probably UCAS as well?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Well it will be at their discretion how to manage it.

You will also need to notify any other universities you applied to - probably UCAS as well?

whats your take on this from ucl

Where there is evidence that an applicant for admission to UCL may have provided false or misleading information on his/her application or papers associated with his/her application, the case will initially be considered by the Director of Access and Admissions who will seek to determine whether the applicant has been guilty of deliberate misrepresentation. This procedure will also be followed where evidence comes to light after an individual has become a registered student of UCL that he/she may have provided false or misleading information when making his/her application for admission to UCL.3.The applicant will be informed in writing by the Director of Access and Admissions of the apparent misrepresentation and asked to provide a statement in explanation or mitigation. Failure to provide a statement, or to provide satisfactory evidence to corroborate his/her explanation, will result in the applicant having the application and/or offer of admission to UCL withdrawn. The decision to withdraw an offer of admission or de-register a student from UCL as a result of fraud in an application will be made in consultation with the Vice Provost (Education and Student Experience).

He should be fine as long as he admits it before they find out
Original post by wegttec2
He should be fine as long as he admits it before they find out

This is not what I take away from that text. If it's admitted by the student and determined (by them) to be a deliberate attempt to mislead them, they can still nullify an offer. It's up to their discretion though by the sound of it. If it was admitted and they determine it was a genuine oversight or error then this would probably be a mitigation, but I wouldn't say that would automatically mean they wouldn't consider it further. That may be likely but it's impossible to say.

In any event the OPs best approach is to notify them and provide any information required - noting also that ignorance is usually not a strong argument of defence, as UCAS does state basically all over the website and if I recall, on the application itself, that all previous study needs to be declared (and also outlines the potential outcomes if things are not declared).

Anyway, yes if it was a genuine oversight I would be surprised if there was any major outcome as a result but they would be perfectly within their rights as I understand it to nullify any offers made. So for posterity I think that should be clear, so people don't think they can e.g. apply while withholding information, wait until they get an offer, then disclose it and plead ignorance or error - as I suspect that would not necessarily always end well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending