The Student Room Group

Is a Macbook worth it?

For reference, I am already well immersed in the Apple ecosystem. I have an iPhone, iPad and airpods, however have had Windows (and eveb dabbled in ChromeOS) all my life. From my personal experience, I’ve found that the laptops I’ve used in the past have little to no longevity and start to wear out after a few years, however have never invested in a high-end windows laptop. I’m now in university studying maths. Is a macbook worth it and which one do you recommend I get?
Original post by PixiePresents
For reference, I am already well immersed in the Apple ecosystem. I have an iPhone, iPad and airpods, however have had Windows (and eveb dabbled in ChromeOS) all my life. From my personal experience, I’ve found that the laptops I’ve used in the past have little to no longevity and start to wear out after a few years, however have never invested in a high-end windows laptop. I’m now in university studying maths. Is a macbook worth it and which one do you recommend I get?

I was a Windows person prior to being introduced to the Apple ecosystem, and I had harsh criticisms regarding it. After being exposed to the Apple ecosystem, I often wondered why I even thought about seconding guessed myself. So there's my disclaimer, I am biased.

I have dabbled with macbooks, and whilst they can last for a long while, I don't see the value for money. Maintenance can also be a paid since you can only get it fixed at specific Apple outlets and if you try to fix it yourself/or through someone else, your warranty would be void. The cost of getting these machines fixed are often not cheap. The accessories that come with it often have short shelf lives as well. Software and apps are significantly fewer than what you can get on WIndows, and they're usually more expensive by a chunky margin. Also whilst you can transfer files and information across your Apple devices, they are generally just restricted to your Apple devices.

I remain a Windows person because of the better value for money, wider availability of apps and software, compatibility with significantly more accessories (most at significantly more competitive prices), and better functionality (I hate the configuration of the Apple keyboard as well as how a lot of things are placed to be different to Window's).

The only device that I would like Apple over Window's would be their iPad. This is a lot smoother than the standard tablet, even though their specs are significantly worse in terms of value for money. The system is good for doodling and taking notes.

If I want a laptop for uni, I would still pick a Windows laptop. Unless I was specifically doing something creative, then I would use an iPad.
Just spraypaint a windows PC white and slap an apple sticker on it. You get the same experience at half the pricepoint and can actually get it repaired if needed.

If you really want the apple experience of a non-functional OS, use windows 11.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending