The Student Room Group

Hospitals made £174million in parking charges

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trinculo

On the other hand, you could say that it's fairest that people who use it least shouldn't pay at all, whilst those that use it the most should pay the most - surely that's fairness?

Ah yes, penalise the sick and disabled even further. First of all, they freeze out benefits, then take them away because some dodgy company decides they know better then our GPs and then charge us for parking because our medically trained GP decides we need more tests done...

I'm sure you'd be saying the same if you were back and forwards to the hospital every month or so. I'm "lucky" if I'm not into double figure visits per year. Why is it fair to charge me for these much needed visits? And because they overrun fairly often, I'm charged even more.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Ah yes, penalise the sick and disabled even further. First of all, they freeze out benefits, then take them away because some dodgy company decides they know better then our GPs and then charge us for parking because our medically trained GP decides we need more tests done...

I'm sure you'd be saying the same if you were back and forwards to the hospital every month or so. I'm "lucky" if I'm not into double figure visits per year. Why is it fair to charge me for these much needed visits? And because they overrun fairly often, I'm charged even more.

Why is it fair for you to not pay to park, when everyone else has to?

If a person visits hospital once a year, has a blood test and then goes home - they have to pay. Why should they have to pay and someone who comes to hospital 20 times a year and consumes a large amount of services not have to pay?

Someone, somewhere has to pay for this. The question is should it be the person using the services, or someone else?
Why is it fair for you to not pay to park, when everyone else has to?

If a person visits hospital once a year, has a blood test and then goes home - they have to pay. Why should they have to pay and someone who comes to hospital 20 times a year and consumes a large amount of services not have to pay?

Someone, somewhere has to pay for this. The question is should it be the person using the services, or someone else?

Why should I be penalised? Or is that really ok?

It costs me at least £2.20 per time to go to hospital; sometimes more if they overrun.

I'm sure you'd feel different if you were one of those who had to attend hospital frequently.
Why should I be penalised? Or is that really ok?

It costs me at least £2.20 per time to go to hospital; sometimes more if they overrun.

I'm sure you'd feel different if you were one of those who had to attend hospital frequently.

From my point of view, you're not being penalised. You're using services and paying for parking in proportion to how much you're using them.

The alternative is that we somehow square the idea that it's fair for you to not pay, and someone else to pay.
Original post by Asterac
To an extent i believe its fair. I suppose you have to consider how else would you control parking? I do believe that patients should be able to nominate someone to get free parking pass when they come to visit, but i think its fair to charge for parking as it is a way to stop people taking advantage of free parking. Whilst i can not see this being a large amount of people i think it will stop people from taking advantage and if the money goes back in to hospital care then its worth it.

People forget the location of some hospital means if they don’t charge then people will fill it up for the other things that are in the vicinity of the hospital.
Original post by ByEeek
Staff are not forced to get penalty notices. They choose to park illegally. Most places of work don't provide free parking for all employees.

They have legs; so why can't they park a bit further out and walk in? Or use the park and ride?

I pay £240 a year for the pleasure of parking at work.

If I happen to work during social hours (vary rarely am I rota'd to start work between the hours of 8-10am), there is next to zero chance that I will get a space. I almost always have to park somewhere that really isn't a space and just hope I don't get a ticket. It's not really a choice when there are no other options.

Parking "further out" isn't an option because most hospitals are surrounded by resident permit only parking, and why should I block up someone's residential street? That's not fair for them.

Also park and ride is laughable when you're trying to get to work at midnight, or leaving at 2am.
(edited 6 years ago)
From my point of view, you're not being penalised. You're using services and paying for parking in proportion to how much you're using them.

The alternative is that we somehow square the idea that it's fair for you to not pay, and someone else to pay.

You are being penalised though.

I'm sure you'd be saying different if you were on a low income and had multiple hospital appointments that often overrun? You also have the issue that you have to pay for an hour - even if you're there for 20 minutes. Why is that ok?
As long as that money gets invested back into the hospital then yes

I'm sure you'd be saying the same if you were back and forwards to the hospital every month or so. I'm "lucky" if I'm not into double figure visits per year.

It costs me at least £2.20 per time to go to hospital; sometimes more if they overrun

So you're talking about somewhere in the region of £30-40 a year to access hospital healthcare? When I was living in the US very basic insurance was costing me about £50 a month, but it wouldn't cover a pre-existing condition. Seeing a doctor to renew my prescription cost me about £70, blood tests £200, prescription £90... every 3 months. But I didn't have to pay for parking!

The NHS has its flaws but its miles and miles ahead of the alternative.
Original post by CurlyBen
So you're talking about somewhere in the region of £30-40 a year to access hospital healthcare? When I was living in the US very basic insurance was costing me about £50 a month, but it wouldn't cover a pre-existing condition. Seeing a doctor to renew my prescription cost me about £70, blood tests £200, prescription £90... every 3 months. But I didn't have to pay for parking!

The NHS has its flaws but its miles and miles ahead of the alternative.

Can sometimes cost more. Note, I said "at least £2.20". We have to pay by the hour.
Can sometimes cost more. Note, I said "at least £2.20". We have to pay by the hour.

Which is why I didn't just multiply £2.20 by 10... but well done on missing the point!
Reply 31
If the government didnt try and starve them of funding they might not have to do **** like this.
Original post by CurlyBen
Which is why I didn't just multiply £2.20 by 10... but well done on missing the point!

What point?

You have to pay (unless you have a blue badge, have cancer or are there for physio) regardless of your situation. You can't claim it back.

If a sick and disabled person finds it very hard to afford the parking charges, then it is quite likely that they wouldn't have a car in the first place.

The do have alternative means of getting to hospital, like public transport for example.
(edited 6 years ago)
What point?

You have to pay (unless you have a blue badge, have cancer or are there for physio) regardless of your situation. You can't claim it back.

The point that the costs of accessing healthcare here are miniscule. There are very few other places where you could get care of the quality provided by the NHS for such a trivial sum.
The sad news is that; THE NHS DON'T CONTROL THE GROUNDS THEY WORK ON. Parking and maintainance of the NHS is shipped of to private companies so in reality, the NHS didn't actually make a penny, the people who regulate the parking onsite do (which most likely is a private company!). Its like when you go to a retail branch (has many shops) the shops don't own the grounds they simply RENT on it.
Rather that it is the people using the NHS pay in proportion compared to the taxpayer having to pay more.
Original post by Guru Jason
Most people don't save lives every day for a living. Charging a doctor a fee for parking is like giving a ticket to an ambulance on a call.

Agreed. So the question we need to ask is are we prepared to pay significantly more tax so that doctors on £100k+ can park their 7-series BMWs at work for free?
I think it's fair, but needs to offer alternative options to people who have regular appointments, or simply can't afford the costs.
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. So the question we need to ask is are we prepared to pay significantly more tax so that doctors on £100k+ can park their 7-series BMWs at work for free?

I don't even know where to begin with this comment. Firstly, you're talking as if Doctors come straight out of medical school and earn 100k a year, which quite frankly is wrong!

Secondly, the amount of work, effort, commitment, dedication that doctors have to endure is simply exceptional!

Thirdly, in my opinion, all parking at hospitals should be £1 or less not the exorbitant amount that some parking regulators impose.

Finally, it takes years of work for a doctor to earn that 100k you quoted, and quite frankly its well-earned because useless politicians like: Jeremy Hunt, Boris Johnson and David Cameron earn more than that a year in public and private deals.

If you want to know more about what responsibilities doctor's have to shoulder, I recommend reading˜This is going to hurt, secret diaries of a junior doctor' by Adam Kay, maybe that will give you some insight

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending