The Student Room Group

I don't know if I should type my notes or not ?

Revision tips , I'm in year 10 and its January I have my mocks in April and I want to start making notes for science mainly but I don't know if I should Type them
Btw I take
Music
Maths
Science
English
Geography
Religious study
French
I really want to take physics for A level so I want to do really well in physics
I find writing things down easier to remember as you are actually writing it yourself rather than pressing buttons on a keyboard you know?

I'm fairly sure most people remember things better when written - there was a study or something done on it I think.

But hey most people can't read my handwriting so if I write notes I will probably want to type them xDD
Original post by rachelleemasalaa
Revision tips , I'm in year 10 and its January I have my mocks in April and I want to start making notes for science mainly but I don't know if I should Type them
Btw I take
Music
Maths
Science
English
Geography
Religious study
French
I really want to take physics for A level so I want to do really well in physics

I find that typing helps ME but everyone's method is different.
You could try it and if it works for you, awesome thats something you have found to help you.
If it isn't your thing, try something else?
Reply 3
Original post by rachelleemasalaa
Btw I take
Music
Maths
Science
English
Geography
Religious study
French

write them.. or more correctly, summarise them.. there's no point writing out full sentences coz those don't stick just write out key points
u could type them but i find that i have a tendency to type more than i write..
Writing out notes tends to help you understand and remember it more as you tend to think about what you're putting on paper. For me, note making is great for subjects where you have to understand the content rather than just memorise bits and bobs. I'd recommend typing notes up for English though as there's just so much to cover

edit: also with maths, don't bother with notes unless you really need to, do practise questions. I focused on making notes for how to do things that i never got round to actually putting it in practise. HegartyMaths is a good website
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
My teachers are always going on about how there are studies proving people do better if they write their notes. I think it’s just because you are more likely to process what you’re writing and can’t just copy-paste large chunks.
However, if you are under time constraints, typing is quicker.
I wrote out all my notes for nat 5, but I decided to type my notes this year for higher. I have to say it has saved me a whole lot of time and effort. However, if you have notes for maths, don’t type them it’s a bit of a shag and I’d say it was quicker writing.
Apart from maths, I also take english, biology, chemistry and physics.
I think someone mentioned above that typing english is good option because there is so much content - I would definitely agree. As with science, I would also type and try and cover the course in a lot of detail. These typed notes act as your complete course content - everything you could possibly need to know.
After this you can focus on revision materials:
Use flashcards to make summary cards of each topic, question and answer cards to test yourself or definition cards. I find all of these very helpful. Lots of people also like mind maps.
Saving time on notes means you also have more time for practise questions.

* For me, I’ve done my higher mocks and there hasn’t been a difference in results between nat 5, writing my notes, and higher, typing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Studies have proven that writing it yourself by hand helps you remember things. They only reason I'd say you should type up is if you have really bad handwriting.
I would recommend picking the option that helps you remember more. Personally, i find that writing notes down helps me remember the specific details or facts more than just typing it as I seem to concentrate on the work better. On the other hand, if you struggle to read your own handwriting , typing may be better.

I hope this helped!
Writing them down does make you remeber it more but I tend to type mine purely because its faster and condense the notes into flashcards. Depends on the person tho. Because you're starting year 10 I'd advice you to experiment with different techniques and see which ones work for you!

Quick Reply

Latest