The Student Room Group

Note taking in sixth form

I take so many notes in class (everything from slides/textbooks) and it just doesn't seem to be very effective. Everything seems important to note down, and I can't work out a way where I can still get down the information I need properly, but not be writing endlessly. Because of my work load with homework and revision (I'm in year 13) I don't have a lot of time outside of lessons to be doing extra note taking if my notes in class aren't detailed enough.
Any ideas would be really helpful and appreciated.
(for context, I study sociology, politics, history, and classics)
Original post by Anonymous #1
I take so many notes in class (everything from slides/textbooks) and it just doesn't seem to be very effective. Everything seems important to note down, and I can't work out a way where I can still get down the information I need properly, but not be writing endlessly. Because of my work load with homework and revision (I'm in year 13) I don't have a lot of time outside of lessons to be doing extra note taking if my notes in class aren't detailed enough.
Any ideas would be really helpful and appreciated.
(for context, I study sociology, politics, history, and classics)

Hi,
I used to have the same problem as well where I would assume that everything the teacher is teaching us is important.

"Great minds think alike". 😊

However, there is a solution to your problem, that is you should print out the latest specifications for each of your subjects to find out exactly what you need, read through the topics you are currently learning in your class and highlight key information in your specifications, anything you don't understand you can ask your teacher for guidance,
Also in terms of notes, you should download the app knowunity, it's very helpful as other students have posted their work on there.
Also try to search for knowledge organisers for your subjects, this way you can find good detailed notes topic by topic, they should be available if you type your exam board as well.

Once you have learnt the notes, start doing past papers, so you can see which areas you need to work on, and the areas you did really great in you can mark it off in the specification.

Hopefully this will help you as it's currently helping me a lot. 🙂

Good luck, I hope you do great in your a levels. 👍
Reply 2
Original post by Samreen2005
Hi,
I used to have the same problem as well where I would assume that everything the teacher is teaching us is important.

"Great minds think alike". 😊

However, there is a solution to your problem, that is you should print out the latest specifications for each of your subjects to find out exactly what you need, read through the topics you are currently learning in your class and highlight key information in your specifications, anything you don't understand you can ask your teacher for guidance,
Also in terms of notes, you should download the app knowunity, it's very helpful as other students have posted their work on there.
Also try to search for knowledge organisers for your subjects, this way you can find good detailed notes topic by topic, they should be available if you type your exam board as well.

Once you have learnt the notes, start doing past papers, so you can see which areas you need to work on, and the areas you did really great in you can mark it off in the specification.

Hopefully this will help you as it's currently helping me a lot. 🙂

Good luck, I hope you do great in your a levels. 👍

Thank you so much for the reply, these seem very helpful, I will definitely give them a try!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you so much for the reply, these seem very helpful, I will definitely give them a try!

That's great, no problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending