The Student Room Group

Sixth form essentials

I am starting sixth form in September this year and I’m wondering if I should get a laptop. I already have an iPad but I watched and read some videos and forums about how it was a good and a necessary investment as the workload is heavy. I’m taking Btec business diploma (double award) and English literature A level.
Original post by Jalwaugh
I am starting sixth form in September this year and I’m wondering if I should get a laptop. I already have an iPad but I watched and read some videos and forums about how it was a good and a necessary investment as the workload is heavy. I’m taking Btec business diploma (double award) and English literature A level.

I would say it very much depends on how you work! I'm studying English literature A Level at the moment and everyone in my class handwrites notes and keep them in folders, however I know a few STEM students like having digital notes (I think they can also complete worksheets digitally which is helpful). Both have their pros and cons, and an iPad with a keyboard will be just as helpful if you want to type up essays, google information, or organise your notes in digital folders. If you choose to have handwritten everything, my advice to you is to keep your folders organised, as mine became a total black hole by the end of my first term - I went for a folder system where I had one folder I brought to school that had dividers with subjects, and then at the end of every term I'd file all the work save for the last two weeks into separate subject folders and keep them at home (if you do this trust me and start with a lever arch instead of a ring binder). So with regards to the laptop I wouldn't make the investment at the moment if I were you - it's definitely not necessary, considering there will most likely be computer access at your sixth form anyway, although I imagine it's worth saving up for university. No harm bringing in both your iPad and a folder for the first few weeks and experiment with seeing what note taking system works best for you! Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the advice and suggestions. It’s very helpful. I definitely lean more towards handwriting notes but occasionally do my essays digitally. Thankyou!!
Reply 3
Hi! I do a mix of handwritten and typed notes, mostly handwritten. Once I've typed something I print it and put it in my folder- that way it's all in one place. Also, my teachers give booklets and sheets so I need a place for these. With an iPad you can get a Bluetooth keyboard or keyboard case. I have used a Bluetooth keyboard with my magnetic case and it's decent. This is also a light option for taking to school whenever you like. My college has a place where you can borrow laptops for a few hours so maybe see if your prospective school has this. A laptop is better than an ipad bc its faster and easier to use the internet. However, I'd say that its better to wait a bit and get a decent model than by a cheap one now which will break in a few years. Hope this helps!
Reply 4
hiya ! i've never used my laptop for school (it's permanently broken) but don't feel like i'm missing out - i do two essay subjects so it's often quite good to speedy write notes for practice for the acc exams (if u handwrite stuff). laptops are quite pricey, so just make sure it's an investment ur willing to make, but imo it's not... defo get good at filing tho 😭😭😭 idk if that's any help :smile:

If you are taking a BTEC then 100%, I currently take BTEC Applied Science and the amount of assignments you are given is really difficult to handle. I too have an iPad but I found it difficult to work with it as I continued to get distracted. Alongside this, if you don’t already, get a printer, it gives you so much more flexibility to hand your assignments in.
Reply 6
Original post by Glemon
Hi! I do a mix of handwritten and typed notes, mostly handwritten. Once I've typed something I print it and put it in my folder- that way it's all in one place. Also, my teachers give booklets and sheets so I need a place for these. With an iPad you can get a Bluetooth keyboard or keyboard case. I have used a Bluetooth keyboard with my magnetic case and it's decent. This is also a light option for taking to school whenever you like. My college has a place where you can borrow laptops for a few hours so maybe see if your prospective school has this. A laptop is better than an ipad bc its faster and easier to use the internet. However, I'd say that its better to wait a bit and get a decent model than by a cheap one now which will break in a few years. Hope this helps!

Thankyou!!
Reply 7
Original post by notkierantho

If you are taking a BTEC then 100%, I currently take BTEC Applied Science and the amount of assignments you are given is really difficult to handle. I too have an iPad but I found it difficult to work with it as I continued to get distracted. Alongside this, if you don’t already, get a printer, it gives you so much more flexibility to hand your assignments in.

Thank you! I just got updated by my college and I am finally changing my options and taking law, English lit, and Btec business single award. So this is really helpful.

Thank you! I just got updated by my college and I am finally changing my options and taking law, English lit, and Btec business single award. So this is really helpful.

My pleasure, let me know if you would like some more tips, i’d me happy to help :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by notkierantho

My pleasure, let me know if you would like some more tips, i’d me happy to help :smile:

Alright thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending