The Student Room Group

CS or medicine

I’m currently doing my GCSEs and I’m really confused on if I want to do medicine or computer science.. I enjoy both for different reasons but I find computer science slightly more interesting. However, a lot of people have told me that although scope in computer science is good.. it will be very very competitive and difficult to get a very good job - whereas with medicine, the number of medical students is depleting so it will probably be easier.
Original post by siddhantgadkari
- whereas with medicine, the number of medical students is depleting so it will probably be easier.

pretty sure medicine is still the most competitive uni course and its becoming more and more competitive as the years go on. i think it averages about 11 applicants per place overall.
I’m currently doing my GCSEs and I’m really confused on if I want to do medicine or computer science.. I enjoy both for different reasons but I find computer science slightly more interesting. However, a lot of people have told me that although scope in computer science is good.. it will be very very competitive and difficult to get a very good job - whereas with medicine, the number of medical students is depleting so it will probably be easier.

Do you want to be a doctor?

Or do you want to learn about mathematics, theory of computation, logic, programming, etc then have the optionality of going into software or any other general career?

That's the real question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is an easy question really

Do you want to become a doctor? if yes do medicine if no then do something

Also I doubt (at least for the foreseeable future) that medicine will ever be less competitive than cs

cs isnt that competitive a degree to get a place on, you pretty much just need to meet the A-level entry requirements and be able to write readable PS
(edited 6 years ago)
Competition has lowered recently at some places due to more places being added, no better time than any now to apply.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Competition has lowered recently at some places due to more places being added, no better time than any now to apply.

I'm pretty sure it's been balanced by the large increase of applicants overall
I doubt many more students in the U.K. randomly just got AAA.

In fact the proportion of people getting those grades have dropped.
Thanks guys.. I’m still not too sure of what I want to do.. but I have some more time to decide and you guys have just helped me understand that it’s equal in terms of competitiveness -thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending