The Student Room Group

Virgin no longer offering the Mail

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jesus234234

Here is the direct and specific legislation that I mentioned directly before that you ignored directly from this legislation:

Far from ignoring it, I linked you to it and quoted a part of it to explain how 'religion or belief' does not include political belief.

Parts 3 to 7 of the act make it clear that characteristics are protected in only five fields, namely services and public functions, employment, supply of premises, employment, education and associations. The supply of newspapers is not covered.
(edited 6 years ago)
So then it should also be legal to stop hiring people it doesn't want to, such as for example if it hates minorities under your logic.

Political beliefs are not a protected characteristic, not that it has anything to do with what Virgin have chosen to do.

Employment and offering a product for sale are two different things.
Original post by Good bloke
Far from ignoring it, I linked you to it and quoted a part of it to explain how 'religion or belief' does not include political belief.

First, you edited your post after I posted my comment and lied that I ignored your comment. And secondly, you need to explain to me how a belief in something like believing in tighter borders for a country doesn't apply to the philosophical category. Just linking me hundred page legislation and then making a quote about something that you don't explain even and saying I'm wrong is not an argument.

Political beliefs do fall under philosophical beliefs btw:

https://www.stephens-scown.co.uk/environment/political-beliefs-at-work-protected-by-the-equality-act/
Original post by moonkatt
Political beliefs are not a protected characteristic, not that it has anything to do with what Virgin have chosen to do.

Employment and offering a product for sale are two different things.

Explain it then, everyone is making statements in this thread without any explanations behind them. And as in my previous post, political beliefs fall under philosophical beliefs and as a result are protected.

Political beliefs do fall under philosophical beliefs btw:

First, tell me which part of the act (from 3 to 7) you think relates to the supply of newspapers.
First, tell me which part of the act (from 3 to 7) you think relates to the supply of newspapers.

All of it, especially the part which directly explains that companies cannot discriminate
All of it, especially the part which directly explains that companies cannot discriminate

Against employees, yes. Pieces of paper with ink on them do not have the same rights as a living breathing human, so employment law is not exactly relevant.
Original post by Manitude
Against employees, yes. Pieces of paper with ink on them do not have the same rights as a living breathing human, so employment law is not exactly relevant.

You are ignoring the people who develop that paper and ink for a living. As I explained before several times, I think it has strong application here as the Daily was employed and contracted to write papers for Virgin, so even though they are seperate companies, they are employed partly by Virgin

The activities they are undertaking have to fall under one of parts 3 to 7 in order for the characteristics to be protected. Which of those parts do you think is relevant here?

Is the supply of newspapers a service? No.

Is it a public duty? No.

Is it the provision of premises? No.

Is it employment? No.

Is it education? No.

Is it all about membership of an association? No

The act therefore does not apply.
The activities they are undertaking have to fall under one of parts 3 to 7 in order for the characteristics to be protected. Which of those parts do you think is relevant here?

Is the supply of newspapers a service? No.

Is it a public duty? No.

Is it the provision of premises? No.

Is it employment? No.

Is it education? No.

Is it all about membership of an association? No

The act therefore does not apply.

Again it seems as though you cannot simply read as I addressed this before. I'll just stop responding to you because the only way that I can explain this is that you are a troll or that you aren't very intelligent.
the Daily was employed and contracted to write papers for Virgin

No it wasn't. It produced a product which Virgin bought.
I'll just stop responding to you because the only way that I can explain this is that you are a troll or that you aren't very intelligent.

The irony!

:toofunny:
You are ignoring the people who develop that paper and ink for a living. As I explained before several times, I think it has strong application here as the Daily was employed and contracted to write papers for Virgin, so even though they are seperate companies, they are employed partly by Virgin

That's...not how shops or employment law work.

I don't employ workers somewhere in East Asia because I bought a Samsung phone.
Original post by Manitude
That's...not how shops or employment law work.

I don't employ workers somewhere in East Asia because I bought a Samsung phone.

I think it ought to apply that way so that companies companies cannot discriminate which services and products they don't use based on the people that create them and it does very much apply to discrimination laws as a result
Woo lets replace it with the Guardian
Explain it then, everyone is making statements in this thread without any explanations behind them. And as in my previous post, political beliefs fall under philosophical beliefs and as a result are protected.

The Daily mail is a product. Virgin have now decided that they no longer like the quality of the product and feel that stocking it no longer fits with their brand image. They are under no obligation to continue to stock this product. Just like pretty much every newsagent in Merseyside doesn't sell the Sun.
My head is very sore, so I won't be banging it against this particular brick wall any more.
**** Virgin then (pun intended!)
They should refuse to sell to them leftist and foolish newspapers like The Guardian
I think it ought to apply that way so that companies companies cannot discriminate which services and products they don't use based on the people that create them and it does very much apply to discrimination laws as a result

So buying a copy of the Daily Mail should give you the right to sack Dacre?

Fortunately for the rest of the country, what you think the law should be has literally no bearing on what the law actually is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending