The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How can I reject Durham this year and still get an offer from them next year

Hi

I have thought about this a lot and i have decided that I will reapply to Cambridge next year after I was rejected this year. My rejection was justified but I know exactly why I was rejected and how to improve my application next year, as a result I am willing to risk losing Durham in order to give Cambridge one more stab. I have an offer from Durham but I want to reject it in the most polite way possible so that Durham still want to give me an offer next year. Cambridge do not allow you to apply with a deferred offer from another university, thus I need to fully reject Durham ASAP.

I want to fall back on Durham as my second choice uni next year if Cambridge reject me again. I have heard anecdotally from UCAS and from a Durham Admissions tutor that they may reject candidates for 2019 entry who didn't accept their offer for 2018 entry. I currently have an offer from Durham and I want to reject their offer without possibly limiting my chances of getting an offer from Durham next year. Would Durham be more likely to give me an offer next year if I withdrew my entire UCAS application instead of directly rejecting their offer through normal UCAS procedure? Also is it advisable to e-mail Durham and explain my reasons for withdrawing? My only worry around contacting Durham would be that they offer me deferred entry which, as I am reapplying to Cambridge, I can't accept. Consequently Durham would recognise they were second choice to Cambridge and thus might reject me next year. I love Durham but it would be a shame to let my Cambridge dream die without any real fight.
Original post by arkham1499_
Hi

I have thought about this a lot and i have decided that I will reapply to Cambridge next year after I was rejected this year. My rejection was justified but I know exactly why I was rejected and how to improve my application next year, as a result I am willing to risk losing Durham in order to give Cambridge one more stab. I have an offer from Durham but I want to reject it in the most polite way possible so that Durham still want to give me an offer next year. Cambridge do not allow you to apply with a deferred offer from another university, thus I need to fully reject Durham ASAP.

I want to fall back on Durham as my second choice uni next year if Cambridge reject me again. I have heard anecdotally from UCAS and from a Durham Admissions tutor that they may reject candidates for 2019 entry who didn't accept their offer for 2018 entry. I currently have an offer from Durham and I want to reject their offer without possibly limiting my chances of getting an offer from Durham next year. Would Durham be more likely to give me an offer next year if I withdrew my entire UCAS application instead of directly rejecting their offer through normal UCAS procedure? Also is it advisable to e-mail Durham and explain my reasons for withdrawing? My only worry around contacting Durham would be that they offer me deferred entry which, as I am reapplying to Cambridge, I can't accept. Consequently Durham would recognise they were second choice to Cambridge and thus might reject me next year. I love Durham but it would be a shame to let my Cambridge dream die without any real fight.

They're unlikely to hold that against you as students don't take up offers for a variety of reasons. Just be nice and you will be fine. Maybe be vague, due to unforeseen circumstances.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I don't think it hurts to contact them about it, and if worried don't clarify who you are. You probably won't get a completely correct answer, but they may give you some helpful information.
That said I know someone who did exactly what you plan on doing, and received a Durham offer again.
It's quite hard to say. Depending on what course you selected, you were picked by the university amongst the competition. Next year, the competition might be tougher and there may be better candidates than you, and you could miss out on a place. Just because you were offered a place this year doesn't guarantee you a place next year.

If you really want to go to Cambridge and think you have a great chance of getting accepted, then by all means go for it, but take into account that Durham might not be an available choice for you should you miss out again.
Speaking as someone who rejected durham twice and reapplied for a third time there and received an offer, I wouldn't worry. I'm pretty sure they destroy all data on candidates at the end of the admissions cycle and even if they don't, there are so many applicants they are unlikely to even know who you are.

I would recommend not turning down the offer now and waiting until results day. You never know how A-Levels will go and it's better to end up at Durham then with no university at all.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I think I'm going to wait till results day and if I get the grades the reapply to Cam then I'll reject Durham then.
Reply 6
Original post by Lukaxe
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I think I'm going to wait till results day and if I get the grades the reapply to Cam then I'll reject Durham then.

Hi. I started this thread a year ago and I did in fact reapply. I got an offer from Cambridge last month so it all worked out for me. If you want any advice for reapplying then you can always message me.:smile:
Hi. I started this thread a year ago and I did in fact reapply. I got an offer from Cambridge last month so it all worked out for me. If you want any advice for reapplying then you can always message me.:smile:

Great news, so pleased for you. I’m in the same position and would appreciate any advice. I was rejected after being pooled. I have an offer from Liverpool to study vet med, not heard from other Unis yet.
So wanted to go to Cambridge so I’m waiting for results day but don’t want to ruin my chances with Liverpool.
You must be very happy with your result.
Reply 8
I realise this was a year ago but just wondered if you still got offers from Durham and your other choices (second time around)?
Reply 9
Original post by Silas20
I realise this was a year ago but just wondered if you still got offers from Durham and your other choices (second time around)?

Yeah. I got offers from Durham and all the others unis. Once you get the required grades in your A Levels, it's very unlikely they would reject you as you're a safe candidate. Your personal statement would also almost certainly be better on a reapplication, you improve a lot in terms of writing and knowledge in a year.
Reply 10
Yeah. I got offers from Durham and all the others unis. Once you get the required grades in your A Levels, it's very unlikely they would reject you as you're a safe candidate. Your personal statement would also almost certainly be better on a reapplication, you improve a lot in terms of writing and knowledge in a year.

Very helpful - thank you. Did you change your PS significantly or just enhance what was already on it?
Original post by Silas20
Very helpful - thank you. Did you change your PS significantly or just enhance what was already on it?

I rewrote it completely as UCAS do a plagarism check on personal statements. The content was similar, although I change quite a lot. Honestly, if you look back on your Personal Statement a year later, you realise that it isn't actually that good, as obviously in a year you improve so much in terms of writing style and general knowledge on your subject.
Reply 12
I rewrote it completely as UCAS do a plagarism check on personal statements. The content was similar, although I change quite a lot. Honestly, if you look back on your Personal Statement a year later, you realise that it isn't actually that good, as obviously in a year you improve so much in terms of writing style and general knowledge on your subject.

Thank you. Really appreciate the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest