The Student Room Group

What GCSE would help me the most in life?

I am going to be choosing mt GCSE's soon and I don't know what would help me the most?
Obviously English, Maths and Science are probably compulsory.

Other than those, a modern foreign language is always handy.

A humanities subject like history.

If you're any good with computers, IT is useful.

Something artistic is good for demonstrating creativity - art, dance, drama, music
Original post by Kathy_
I am going to be choosing mt GCSE's soon and I don't know what would help me the most?

English and maths science not so much unless you want a healthcare degree
Original post by Kathy_

Do at least one humanity subject as it prepares you for essay based writing. Foreign language I think is stupid unless you already know the language or if you're seriously going to learn it. Don't do computer science thinking you're going to be the next Steve jobs. Other than that do simple subjects mabye Triple science if you want to do a science at A level. Keep it simple don't over do it at GCSEs, that's for A levels.
computer science is a good one
Honestly your GCSEs are not going to make any difference in the long term, outside of English Language and Maths (which are mandatory) to ensure you meet basic literacy and numeracy levels. Just pick the options you enjoy the most - don't take a language just because you feel you "have to" (I did this, managed to somehow scrape a B in GCSE Spanish, and some 10 years later cannot speak, read, understand or write a word of it) for example. The actual grades you get make more difference than the subejcts taken.

Universities don't care what you do at GCSE, as the essential subjects are all national curriculum subjects you have to do anyway - and as an extension I assure you no employer is going to care beyond the possible exceptions of those NC subjects. The one exception is that UCL has a "language requirement" that all students there have to have the equivalent of GCSE level in a foreign language by the time they graduate. Thus, you can complete this requirement once at the university. Beyond that, as above the only specific subjects they will pay any attention to are English/maths/science - and if you're specifically applying for language related degrees (including classics/ancient languages or linguistics, potentially), a language. However if you're likely to do such a degree, you probably enjoy studying languages already and plan to take one or more anyway.

A few 6th forms/colleges/schools may prefer students have done a given subject at GCSE to continue to A-level in that subject - this isn't uncommon for History/Geography, and of course is normally necessary for languages. It's often preferred for visual and performing arts subjects to have taken the relevant GCSE (drama/art/music) although usually if you can demonstrate talent in the area this can be worked around. Of course, you will probably be planning to take that subject at GCSE anyway if you want to continue with it. Which brings us back to the original advice of sticking to what you enjoy (and perhaps to an extent considering what you're good at).
Mathematics and English Language
At GCSE, practically nothing will help you in life. It's more about proving your academic potential at this stage. Just go with whatever you think you will enjoy the most, @artful_lounger's reply explains why you can do that really well.
Reply 8
Two englishes, maths, core science and a language are essential. Depending what u like, its good to take a humanity so either geography/history and a creative like music/drama/art although i dont think a creative is essential.
Original post by amaraxx
Two englishes, maths, core science and a language are essential. Depending what u like, its good to take a humanity so either geography/history and a creative like music/drama/art although i dont think a creative is essential.

A language is "essential"?
Reply 10
Original post by Astravolt
A language is "essential"?

I think it is if u want to improve ur future oppurtunities of getting into uni and navigating the world especially with brexit
Work and Life Skills, Home Economics
Hi, I'm doing my GCSEs now and I'm guessing that English, Maths & Science is compulsory. However, with you choosing your GCSEs, I'd say if you have a rough idea about what job or what job sector you want to do when you're older then pick a subject that is relevant and will help with your future career choices.

I advise you to pick a subject you enjoy as well. I picked History, French & BTEC ICT. I felt like my school was insisting me to pick a language and I thought I was pretty good at it too, until I started doing GCSE in year 10 and now I regret picking it as I find it wayy too hard now so do not let teachers make your decision for you, feel comfortable with what you are choosing.

I picked BTEC ICT because I want to do something in the computer sector when I'm older and I really enjoy it since I feel as if it is my only "free" subject where I can actually enjoy learning so I strongly suggest you pick a subject you enjoy too as you do need a little break from all the other stressful subjects after a while.

So my best advice to you, coming from a year 11 student, is to choose a subject you feel will help you later on in life when you leave school, as well as picking a subject you enjoy but also pushing yourself a little so you can challenge yourself!

Good luck! :smile:

Original post by Kathy_
Original post by Kathy_

None of them will help you excel in life but they do lay the foundation stones for more advanced things you will cover in the future.
A humanity subject like history, sociology, psychology, religious studies and more.
I’ve heard geography is one of the most important subjects which isn’t compulsory because you learn about other countries, cultures, where they are, ranking, climate and how the world is changing.

But really you have to think what you want do when your older and the gcse’s that would be most appropriate
Reply 16
I'm a mature student so look at it differently from most on here:

Every day life:
English
Maths
Accounts - bookkeeping a budget
First Aid
Animal care if you going to have pets.
Geography - yep map reading, world geography
Self Defence
Sport - to help de-stress and remain fit
Cookery
Sciences

For your career - that totally depends on what you want to do in life. English, Maths and a Science is always good even if you don't know what you want to do.

PS You don't need any other language then English as most companies use it as their main language, however it is always handy to have one such as French, German or Spanish - Mandarin is popular, but be warned it takes years to master. All the other subjects are just career based, and may not be recognised by companies. If you have the main two, they really don't care if you got a B in humanities or RE.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest