The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Zoedotdot
Haha, I know I'm not that hypersensitive really

*cackles* -- THAT wasn't even directed at you! Hypersensitive? :p: :biggrin: (It was directed at LJoll -- I'd assumed you'd understood the joke...)
epitome
*cackles* -- THAT wasn't even directed at you! Hypersensitive? :p: :biggrin: (It was directed at LJoll -- I'd assumed you'd understood the joke...)

Oh.

:redface:

Silly Zoë :p:
Zoedotdot
Yes, but if you flip the phrase over and say "I know someone who's gay, he's really annoying" does that make you a raging homophobe? Of course not, it just means you have a problem with that particular person. Hence, the argument doesn't stand up at all. I'm ashamed of myself :frown:

Sorry to pedantic, but that is simply not true at all. While the fact that you don't like a gay person hardly shows that you are prejudiced towards homosexuals, the fact that you DO like some gay people IS at least some indication that you don't hate all homosexuals.

Lidka
I think that's generally because that statement is usually followed by "I just don't like [insert homophobic comment on gay stereotypes]". It is possible to be a homophobe and have gay friends, it's just less noticeable than the kind of homophobe who thinks, for example, that all homosexuals are going to hell.

It is possible to be homophobic and have gay friends, but I think that the fact that you have gay friends shows that you have at least some respect for them.

Epitome
Am not attacking you, by the way -- just the phrase! (And anyway, it was only meant as a joke, intially!)

Yeah, I realized that. It just reminded me of certain times where I've stopped myself saying something similar, only to question why I'd felt the need to stop myself. When you're accused of being prejudiced towards some of the people you love most in the world the most obvious reaction is to point out how ridiculous that feels to you. There seems to be a stereotype that anyone who point out that one of their closest friends is gay/black/old(??) is automatically homophobic/racist/ageist. Of course it isn't as simple as that, as you'll always have the man soapboxing in the pub then assuring us of his credentials because he works with a gay person or likes the man that works at his corner shop.

I apologise for being so pedantic and boring.
*snore* please take this English-fest to the appropriate place!!
LJoll
Sorry to pedantic, but that is simply not true at all. While the fact that you don't like a gay person hardly shows that you are prejudiced towards homosexuals, the fact that you DO like some gay people IS at least some indication that you don't hate all homosexuals.

Can you not say that the fact that you don't like one gay person is at least some indication that you don't like all homosexuals? Seems like a bit of an obvious statement to me. Saying that one of your friends is gay does not necessarily mean that you're pro-homosexuality, just that you have a friend who happens to be gay. Besides, the problem with the statement is that it is too often used in a very general sense - a lot of the time, the 'friend' turns out to be a friend of a cousin's stepbrother who they've spoken to once at a party. It's an argument that's overused and overly generalised.
Reply 65
LJoll
It is possible to be homophobic and have gay friends, but I think that the fact that you have gay friends shows that you have at least some respect for them.

Hmm, not really. The problem, in many cases, seems to be that people "allow" themselves to be friends with this or that person (who happens to be gay/black/white/whatever group we're talking about) by basically ignoring that part of them. It does in no way imply a 'respect' for that whole group of people (or for that characteristic). It simply indicates an ability to ignore an aspect of a person, because they realise that person is actually pretty cool. The problem comes in when they don't realise that almost everyone in that group will have "pretty cool" features too, and that their gayness/black skin/whatever isn't necessarily their defining feature.

That is, whilst you might have respect for that one person, this does not translate to a more general respect (or, more importantly perhaps, an awareness of the probable-falsity of whatever generalisation is being made).

It's a bit complicated, and I'm not explaining it well (and you probably all know what I mean anyway!), and it only has limited relevance here, but there we have it.

My, this thread has become political! :wink:

Opsi
*snore* please take this English-fest to the appropriate place!!

There's nothing Englingy about it, really. Just the occasional bit in posts, which is just as examples of wider things. So shove off! :p:
Zoedotdot
Besides, the problem with the statement is that it is too often used in a very general sense - a lot of the time, the 'friend' turns out to be a friend of a cousin's stepbrother who they've spoken to once at a party. It's an argument that's overused and overly generalised.

Exactly. If your problem with the argument is that the friendship is often tenuous at best, you surely must admit that the argument carries weight if the friendship is genuine.
LJoll
Exactly. If your problem with the argument is that the friendship is often tenuous at best, you surely must admit that the argument carries weight if the friendship is genuine.

Not the only problem I'm afraid... But I'd just be repeating epitome if I continued, so I'd just read her post if I were you :smile:
epitome
Hmm, not really. The problem, in many cases, seems to be that people "allow" themselves to be friends with this or that person (who happens to be gay/black/white/whatever group we're talking about) by basically ignoring that part of them. It does in no way imply a 'respect' for that whole group of people (or for that characteristic). It simply indicates an ability to ignore an aspect of a person, because they realise that person is actually pretty cool. The problem comes in when they don't realise that almost everyone in that group will have "pretty cool" features too, and that their gayness/black skin/whatever isn't necessarily their defining feature.

That is, whilst you might have respect for that one person, this does not translate to a more general respect (or, more importantly perhaps, an awareness of the probable-falsity of whatever generalisation is being made).

But why on earth would you respect a whole group of people? Of course they would not have a more general respect for gay people, but isn't the whole problem with prejudice the fact that people are judged as a whole group rather than individuals? If someone respects their gay friend but does not extrapolate the friends characteristics across the entire gay population they are not ignoring an aspect of them, they are judging them without prejudice and as an individual with their own qualities.
Reply 69
LJoll
But why on earth would you respect a whole group of people? Of course they would not have a more general respect for gay people, but isn't the whole problem with prejudice the fact that people are judged as a whole group rather than individuals? If someone respects their gay friend but does not extrapolate the friends characteristics across the entire gay population they are not ignoring an aspect of them, they are judging them without prejudice and as an individual with their own qualities.

Apologies, JLoll, I misunderstood your post:
LJoll

My bad.

Your argument makes good sense up to a point, but then I think a problem arises.
If we take it (for now) that the thing we object to follows this formula:

Massive generalisation about Group X [generalisation about Characteristic X]
+
But I'm not prejudiced against Group X [Defence X]
+
Evidence for lack of prejudice = Group X Friend [Friend X],

then the problem is not the lack of respect/liking/understanding for Friend X. The problem is the inability or unwillingness to concede that the thing that makes Friend X 'acceptable' (despite Characteristic X) might also apply to many other members of the group, therefore making Generalisation X entirely invalid. It's the generalisation, followed by a defence and an undermining, that is irritating.

Liking someone with Characteristic X is great. Continuing to make massive assumptions about the group of people with the same characteristic is not.

But this has now gone waaaaaay off the point! (After a jokey remark...:rolleyes:)
epitome

But this has now gone waaaaaay off the point! (After a jokey remark...:rolleyes:)

What was the original point? I think we hijacked someone's thread and turned it into a debatefest.
Reply 71
skelator
Hi, my track offer does not mention the university matriculation requirements, which is good because I don't satisfy them. My college head explained that I didn't take a language other than English at GCSE, but there has been no mention of it at all; however, I did get an offer so I assume its okay. I was just wondering whether they usually put that you need to satisfy those requirements on the track offer and I was okay, or whether I should contact them to make sure.

THIS was the OP!

We were still just about on track when we were talking about education/qualifications, etc. And then it went a bit mental. Hey ho -- that's what TSR is all about (sometimes)!
Hah, that feels like a long time ago... Internet time passes strangely. Ah well, we had a nice chat anyway :smile:
epitome
Apologies, JLoll, I misunderstood your post:

My bad.

Your argument makes good sense up to a point, but then I think a problem arises.
If we take it (for now) that the thing we object to follows this formula:

Massive generalisation about Group X [generalisation about Characteristic X]
+
But I'm not prejudiced against Group X [Defence X]
+
Evidence for lack of prejudice = Group X Friend [Friend X],

then the problem is not the lack of respect/liking/understanding for Friend X. The problem is the inability or unwillingness to concede that the thing that makes Friend X 'acceptable' (despite Characteristic X) might also apply to many other members of the group, therefore making Generalisation X entirely invalid. It's the generalisation, followed by a defence and an undermining, that is irritating.

Liking someone with Characteristic X is great. Continuing to make massive assumptions about the group of people with the same characteristic is not.

Fair enough. I guess it just slightly irritates me when overly politically correct people (not that I'm accusing you of this at all) raise an enormous fuss about something that isn't even at all racist/classist and you have to take a step back and say "wait a minute you and all your friends are white middle-class people pontificating and I actually know and deeply respect many of the people you claim to be defending". While I'm totally against racism and most discrimination, it annoys me when people become completely detached from the reality of the situations and yet come up with more and more ludicrous things under their own increasing momentum, which seems to be what's happened with political correctness. It kind of makes me think of people who claim to be communists, yet spend their entire lives writing books that only other people with exactly the same views and beliefs read and no real progress occurs.
And I haven't got my track offer yet either.
Reply 75
LJoll
Fair enough. I guess it just slightly irritates me when overly politically correct people (not that I'm accusing you of this at all) raise an enormous fuss about something that isn't even at all racist/classist and you have to take a step back and say "wait a minute you and all your friends are white middle-class people pontificating and I actually know and deeply respect many of the people you claim to be defending". While I'm totally against racism and most discrimination, it annoys me when people become completely detached from the reality of the situations and yet come up with more and more ludicrous things under their own increasing momentum, which seems to be what's happened with political correctness. It kind of makes me think of people who claim to be communists, yet spend their entire lives writing books that only other people with exactly the same views and beliefs read and no real progress occurs.

I agree, actually.
But you must have come across the "...but one of my best friends is gay [etc.]!" line, in a situation where that phrase is essentially used as a disclaimer for the homophobic remarkimmediately preceding it? That is why it has become something of a joke/eye-roll-inducing phrase, because it's normally attached to something that suggests a lack of understanding (that they try to cover up with a declaration of 'understanding' of one special member of the group). I'm not sure, actually, that any of us have exactly been trying to be PC in all of this! (Just as well, because the extremes to which it sometimes go are, as you say, annoying).

As for track (:biggrin:), my offer didn't come up on there till March. Hey ho.
Cambridge rejection came through today on Track. Even though I was expecting it it was still a shock.

That sounds so weird... :s-smilie:
epitome
I agree, actually.
But you must have come across the "...but one of my best friends is gay [etc.]!" line, in a situation where that phrase is essentially used as a disclaimer for the homophobic
remarkimmediately preceding it? That is why it has become something of a joke/eye-roll-inducing phrase, because it's normally attached to something that suggests a lack of understanding (that they try to cover up with a declaration of 'understanding' of one special member of the group). I'm not sure, actually, that any of us have exactly been trying to be PC in all of this! (Just as well, because the extremes to which it sometimes go are, as you say, annoying).

As for track (:biggrin:), my offer didn't come up on there till March. Hey ho.

Yeah, I don't think you were trying to be PC. I wasn't trying to criticize you, it just reminded me of certain other things that I do find annoying. The worst thing about political correctness (and most politics incidentally) is that people seem to think that carefully chosen but fundamentally empty gestures are far more important than reality. I don't care if a politician is having numerous affairs, puts rocket fuel in his car and is a generally horrible person, as long as he can make the world a better place.

But yes, I agree that people probably claim to have certain friends in order to justify their prejudices, but it is impossible to say that someone being homophobic has no bearing on how likely they are to have gay friends.
Reply 78
LJoll
The worst thing about political correctness (and most politics incidentally) is that people seem to think that carefully chosen but fundamentally empty gestures are far more important than reality. I don't care if a politician is having numerous affairs, puts rocket fuel in his car and is a generally horrible person, as long as he can make the world a better place.

Indeed.
Politics generally just gets me cross...
Most things get you cross :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending