The Student Room Group

How does A- Level Mathematics work?

I've enrolled to do A Level Mathematics course online through Learn Now distance provider.

I've been enrolled into the modules:

Statistics
AS = MPC1, MPC2, MS1B
A' Level = MPC3, MPC4, MS2B

Pure
AS = MPC1, MPC2, MFP1
A' Level = MPC3, MPC4, MFP2

Must I complete all these modules for AS and A Level? From what I can see Pure and Statistics have a bit of overlap. I can see each of those modules have their own 1.5 hour exam as listed on the http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_table_pdf/AQA-TT-GCE-JUN18-CONFIRMED.PDF timetable.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angesangles
I've enrolled to do A Level Mathematics course online through Learn Now distance provider.

I've been enrolled into the modules:

Statistics
AS = MPC1, MPC2, MS1B
A' Level = MPC3, MPC4, MS2B

Pure
AS = MPC1, MPC2, MFP1
A' Level = MPC3, MPC4, MFP2

Must I complete all these modules for AS and A Level? From what I can see Pure and Statistics have a bit of overlap. I can see each of those modules have their own 1.5 hour exam as listed on the http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_table_pdf/AQA-TT-GCE-JUN18-CONFIRMED.PDF timetable.

To complete an A level in maths under the modular specification you need to take exams in 6 units. The usual combination is 4 units of pure maths MPC1-4 plus 2 units of applied maths (in your case MS1&2). Some examiners allow candidates to complete a Pure maths A level by adding 2 units of further pure maths to the 4 pure maths units (MPC1-4 plus MFP1&2). You need to decide which route you are taking and you need to get your examination entries sorted out soon as they are done in February. Late entries are expensive and difficult to arrange. You should also note that summer 2018 is the last year that you can be entered for any unit for the first time in this specification. There will be a resit opportunity in summer 2019 if you need it.
Are you doing the old spec? If so, are you therefore learning it all to sit this exam season?
Reply 3
Original post by thekidwhogames
Are you doing the old spec? If so, are you therefore learning it all to sit this exam season?

Yes I am doing the old spec
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
To complete an A level in maths under the modular specification you need to take exams in 6 units. The usual combination is 4 units of pure maths MPC1-4 plus 2 units of applied maths (in your case MS1&2). Some examiners allow candidates to complete a Pure maths A level by adding 2 units of further pure maths to the 4 pure maths units (MPC1-4 plus MFP1&2). You need to decide which route you are taking and you need to get your examination entries sorted out soon as they are done in February. Late entries are expensive and difficult to arrange. You should also note that summer 2018 is the last year that you can be entered for any unit for the first time in this specification. There will be a resit opportunity in summer 2019 if you need it.

Yep Im aware of that. I will be trying to sort out enrolments in the next week or two. At the same time I am also enrolled in doing GCSE Math . Not sure if there have been students in the past that have sat the GCSE and A Level at the same time. (Mind you I am a part time student)
Yes I am doing the old spec

So you are going to be self-teaching all of A level Maths in 3 months alongside GCSE Maths? I'm not so sure that's a good idea though...
Reply 6
Original post by thekidwhogames
So you are going to be self-teaching all of A level Maths in 3 months alongside GCSE Maths? I'm not so sure that's a good idea though...

I've learnt a fair amount of maths in the past (I am an adult redoing the GCSE and A-Level units). I am an international student as well studying via distance (through Oxford Open Learning and Learn Now)
Reply 7
Also I am pretty sure that I will be doing these exams as private candidates:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-ENTRY-FEES-2017-18.PDF

34.55 GBP for Maths GCSE (24th May/7th June/12th June)

Also what is the difference between doing an 8300/1F and 8300/1H exam? I also notice there was 8300/2F and 8300/2H ? Also 8300/3F and 8300/3H
Reply 8
For the A-Levels I will be sitting the MPC1 , MPC2, MPC3, MPC4, MS1B. MS2B, MFP1, MFP2 (18.30 GBP x 8=146.4 GBP) Dates of exam are: 16 May, 23 May, 6 June, 13 June (2 exams), 15 June, 19 June, 22 June
Also I am pretty sure that I will be doing these exams as private candidates:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-ENTRY-FEES-2017-18.PDF

34.55 GBP for Maths GCSE (24th May/7th June/12th June)

Also what is the difference between doing an 8300/1F and 8300/1H exam? I also notice there was 8300/2F and 8300/2H ? Also 8300/3F and 8300/3H

In GCSE maths there is higher tier from grades 5 to 9 and foundation from 1 to 5. H are the higher exams. There are 3 papers to sit.
Im also aware that this is the outgoing specification for A Level so I guess its always been something that Ive been interested in.

I got delivered the GCSE material and the stuff is a walk in the park.

In terms of the A Level material, the distance provider makes us do 6 assignments (but i think there may be a couple more added on). It just seems to me the private candidate exam is the one that matters most.
I also know of the 8 modules, they are split up into levels and from what I heard the average of C3 and C4 has to be around 90% or more to be able to get an A*

AS Level: MPC1, MPC2, MS1B, MFP1 A2 Level: MPC3, MPC4, MS2B, MFP2

any more tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not doing this to get into the UK universities either. It's more of an individual motivation.
I read this from a poster called Fbiemad:

"To get an A* in Maths, your average has to be 80%+ and your average between C3 and C4 should be 90%+.
For Maths the modules which count are: [C1, C2, C3, C4] + [ (M1, M2) or (S1, S2) or (M1, S1) or (M1, D1) or (S1, D1) ]

To get an A* in Further Maths, your average should be 80%+ with an average of 90%+ in 3 modules. The 3 modules can be any of FP2, FP3, S2, M2. (Basically anything without a "1".
Further Maths modules will be: [FP1, FP2, FP3] + [ (D1, S1, S2) or (M1, M2, D1) or (M2, S2, D1) or (S1, S2, M2) or (M1, M2, S2) respectively, compared to the list I made for Maths.]

The combinations are made in such way that you get the best outcome for Maths and Further Maths."

Based on what I have mentioned before, would it also be better for me to take FP3 if I want to get the Further Maths A* grade? . To have a crack at the Further Maths grade, would it be advisable for me to also take on FP3, D1? (i.e having a combination of: FP1, FP2, FP3, D1, S1, S2? (it means I would add on a further two modules to my current list)
For the A-Levels I will be sitting the MPC1 , MPC2, MPC3, MPC4, MS1B. MS2B, MFP1, MFP2 (18.30 GBP x 8=146.4 GBP) Dates of exam are: 16 May, 23 May, 6 June, 13 June (2 exams), 15 June, 19 June, 22 June

You do not need to sit 8 exams for an A level in maths. Although you could do all 8 and see which combination leads to the best overall results, You would at some point need to choose either a standard maths A level or a pure maths A level. If you want to also be awarded a further maths A level you will need to complete a total of 12 unit exams.
The fee you quote is the examination fee, your chosen exam centre will charge a private candidate much more than the exam fee.
(edited 6 years ago)
You do not need to sit 8 exams for an A level in maths. Although you could do all 8 and see which combination leads to the best overall results, You would at some point need to choose either a standard maths A level or a pure maths A level. If you want to also be awarded a further maths A level you will need to complete a total of 12 unit exams.
The fee you quote is the examination fee, your chosen exam centre will charge a private candidate much more than the exam fee.

Im still a bit confused by what you mean.

I'm aware that you do not need to sit all 8 exams for the A Level. But from what I know a combination of : C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2 would be a suitable combination for A Level Mathematics . (My course provider also has given me material on FP1 and FP2 and I think there are a couple of assignments that I have to submit over the internet).

From this link:
http://furthermaths.org.uk/docs/Aggregation%20rules%20for%20HEIs%20~%20Version%203%20January%202013.pdf

AS Further Mathematics Any combination of three units which does not include C1–C4 but does include at least one Further Pure unit.

A Level Further Mathematics Any combination of six units which does not include C1–C4 but does include at least two Further Pure unit

If I was to go for the 'A Level Further Mathematics' , would an additional units of: FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2 and M1 suffice?

(PS - just re-reading this thread I've realised a combination of : C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2 and M1 would be a total of 10 modules)- ----> that's around 15 hours of exams alone .........12 would be push it up to around 18 hours exams.
(edited 6 years ago)
Im still a bit confused by what you mean.

I'm aware that you do not need to sit all 8 exams for the A Level. But from what I know a combination of : C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2 would be a suitable combination for A Level Mathematics . (My course provider also has given me material on FP1 and FP2 and I think there are a couple of assignments that I have to submit over the internet).

From this link:
http://furthermaths.org.uk/docs/Aggregation%20rules%20for%20HEIs%20~%20Version%203%20January%202013.pdf

AS Further Mathematics Any combination of three units which does not include C1–C4 but does include at least one Further Pure unit.

A Level Further Mathematics Any combination of six units which does not include C1–C4 but does include at least two Further Pure unit

If I was to go for the 'A Level Further Mathematics' , would an additional units of: FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2 and M1 suffice?

(PS - just re-reading this thread I've realised a combination of : C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2 and M1 would be a total of 10 modules)- ----> that's around 15 hours of exams alone .........12 would be push it up to around 18 hours exams.

You can't use the same units twice so while C1-4 plus S1&2 is fine for maths you can't count S1&2 again so this leaves only 4 units from your 10 that could count in Further maths, you need 6 for a full A level. You could take 9 units for A levels maths and an AS in further maths. AS further maths is typically FP1 plus any two units not used in maths.
You can't use the same units twice so while C1-4 plus S1&2 is fine for maths you can't count S1&2 again so this leaves only 4 units from your 10 that could count in Further maths, you need 6 for a full A level. You could take 9 units for A levels maths and an AS in further maths. AS further maths is typically FP1 plus any two units not used in maths.

Thanks I also just rang up someone working at AQA. He told me you have to know which specification number you want to do.

Do you know what the difference between an A Level in: ADV Mathematics (code specification 6361), ADV Pure Mathematics (code specification 6366) and ADV Further Mathematics (code specification 6371). Is is possible to get 2 specifications at the same time? I am looking at ADV Mathematics and Further Mathematics.
Acutally having a look at the material im just going to aim for the A Level Math/A Level Pure Math and not the Further Math due to time constraints and workload.

Trying to be a realist. C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2, FP1 and FP2 is plenty on the plate for me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks I also just rang up someone working at AQA. He told me you have to know which specification number you want to do.

Do you know what the difference between an A Level in: ADV Mathematics (code specification 6361), ADV Pure Mathematics (code specification 6366) and ADV Further Mathematics (code specification 6371). Is is possible to get 2 specifications at the same time? I am looking at ADV Mathematics and Further Mathematics.

As explained above
From your plans, A level mathematics would be C1-4 plus S1&2
A level pure mathematics would be C1-4 plus FP1&2
You have to choose to do one or the other, you can't use the same units twice to do both.
You can elect to do Maths and Further maths at the same time though with only 8 units you will not get a qualification in further maths, just unit results for the two units if you choose to take them.
So one more question gdunne, could I do C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2 as well as FP1 & FP2 to obtain the A Level Mathematics or not?

I want to do 8 modules but am aware that I only need those first 6

Quick Reply

Latest