The Student Room Group

How can I improve GCSE English Language FAST !?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cloboe2003
If its for analysing quotes(books like macbeth , Jekyll and Hyde ect.) Use the peace anagram
P-point
E-evidence and explain
A-author method
C-context
Effect on reader
You could also add a second interpretation

Context is pretty useless for GCSE English language.
im at school rn and doing my mock english in half an hour im going to fail for sure no matter how much i revise because im dyslexic.and another thing is that some people dont have enough god damn money to buy 1000 english books to
Original post by blackvoid17
I also struggled with English language at GCSE. In my mocks I got a 4 and I was predicted a 6 at the time. Something I found really useful was the English language revision guide and workbook - I did Edexcel but there should be one for WJEC too. If you can't find one, you could still use the Edexcel ones since English language isn't immensely different across exam boards. You might also want to practise writing narratives or annotating texts under timed conditions. In my mocks I was terrible at analysing and annotating the texts, but I definitely improved after practising this. In the actual exam I ended up getting a 9 and I never would have thought I could get that. Don't worry you have time to practise and improve.

Hi, I am also struggling with english so could you please tell me any additional tips and also the book you used as I am also edexcel. Well done for the level 9 as well.
Can you guide me, do we only practice thorugh the revision guides and solving past paper or any other method to improve my skills?
Reply 24
Original post by sadsadgirl
For English language, I got a 4 last year. I'm in year 11 now. We had mocks in December, and I got a 9 in English language. Personally, I just watched Mr Bruff's videos on youtube and then did some past papers.

I know this is an old post but I am in your year 10 position right now getting 4s and I was wondering if you could elaborate with what you did that improved your grade.
me too
But when u revised how did u mark your practice papers or do u have to get a teacher to mark then or does it not matter as long as you practice it because I dont have anyone who can mark it for me.

Original post by username3768342
Hi, I did my GCSE's last year and was lucky enough to get 9's in both language and literature. Admittedly I'm an aspiring writer, so it's definitely one of my fortes, but my biggest piece of advice for language is to read. A lot. I don't know if that's something you're doing already, but reading anything (particularly fiction) will really improve your vocabulary and even just the way you write. It sounds stupid, but it honestly makes such a difference. Choose something you'll enjoy though, because GCSE's are enough of a chore without that on top!

In terms of the writing quality, avoid repetition where possible (unless it's for effect), and try to vary your sentence structure. When it comes to answering questions, I also suggest jotting down brief answer plans on a scrap piece of paper, even if it's only a few bullet points, so you know what you're going to say before you start writing. That'll really help with things like topic sentences, paragraphs and flow. The same goes for Section B. I know the time pressure in exams is scary, but an examiner is much less likely to give a good grade to a huge wall of unorganised, poorly thought through text than they are a paragraphed, clearly structured argument - even if the points they made were roughly the same.

The most important thing though is to keep at it, and not give up. Read through some model answers, and ask your teachers for specific feedback on your work. One of the boys in my class wasn't happy with his mock grade, so he dedicated himself to writing one extra practice essay a week until the exams. Luckily for him our teacher agreed to mark them (if somewhat reluctantly), and give him the feedback he needed - he ended up with two 9's for the real thing.

Good luck, and hope I helped!
Original post by pratikstalin
But when u revised how did u mark your practice papers or do u have to get a teacher to mark then or does it not matter as long as you practice it because I dont have anyone who can mark it for me.

I used the markscheme to see where I could get marks and where I would lose marks because my teacher was rubbish at teaching
Reply 28
Original post by pratikstalin

Your best bet is asking your teacher (if you have one) or getting an English tutor, I’d recommend mytutor. Personally I wouldn’t bother marking it yourself because you don’t have the experience of an English teacher. Other than that, perhaps you could post your work in the English forums requesting for feedback?
Original post by Abzdot
Your best bet is asking your teacher (if you have one) or getting an English tutor, I’d recommend mytutor. Personally I wouldn’t bother marking it yourself because you don’t have the experience of an English teacher. Other than that, perhaps you could post your work in the English forums requesting for feedback?

Thank you for the advice.
XD ok thanks.
Hi guys I’m currently a year 11 student at graveney I got my exams next month I got 3
Reply 32
Original post by Saharbrown
Hi guys I’m currently a year 11 student at graveney I got my exams next month I got 3

Try doing some of the past papers but start by doing the questions individually. Start slowly at first, doing them in your own time and once you feel more confident you can do them in timed conditions. Hand these in to your English teacher to mark and give you feedback on. You can find more papers if you complete these by generally searching online for them. As you feel more confident in doing them, you can do all the questions together under timed conditions and this will have you fully prepared. There is still a good amount of time to improve this so don't panic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending