The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at Dentistry?

Hi, im currently in year 12 studying BTEC applied science level 3 national extended diploma and ive been predicted D*DD having achieved all distinctions in my assignments so far. I am interested in studying dentistry but havent done so well in gcses due to circumstances.
I got a 7 in english language and arabic, 6s in Religious studies, Maths, Biology and english literature, a 5 in chemistry, business and geography and finally a 4 in physics and psychology. Would i be able to get into dentistry and if so, what unis will accept me? I have yet to do the UCAT and im currently looking for dental work experience to do in July. Any help on how I can do dentistry would be amazing.

Earlier in the year, I was thinking to do dental hygiene and maybe post graduate do dentistry but ive been told post graduate is even more competitive and im not too sure how good of a course dental hygiene and therapy is.

To anyone that can help that would be amazing, thank you!
Original post by -toothfairy
Hi, im currently in year 12 studying BTEC applied science level 3 national extended diploma and ive been predicted D*DD having achieved all distinctions in my assignments so far. I am interested in studying dentistry but havent done so well in gcses due to circumstances.
I got a 7 in english language and arabic, 6s in Religious studies, Maths, Biology and english literature, a 5 in chemistry, business and geography and finally a 4 in physics and psychology. Would i be able to get into dentistry and if so, what unis will accept me? I have yet to do the UCAT and im currently looking for dental work experience to do in July. Any help on how I can do dentistry would be amazing.

Earlier in the year, I was thinking to do dental hygiene and maybe post graduate do dentistry but ive been told post graduate is even more competitive and im not too sure how good of a course dental hygiene and therapy is.

To anyone that can help that would be amazing, thank you!
Do you feel that you would be eligible for a contextual offer, due to the circumstances causing your lower GCSEs? If so, that would likely improve your chances.
From what I could see here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/dentistry/dentistry-entry-requirements it looks like you could apply to these unis (however it doesn't mention if they consider BTECs):
KCL has GCSE requirements of 6 in English language and mathematics
Newcastle has no specified GCSE requirements
Plymouth needs 7 GCSE passes
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest