The Student Room Group

My GCSE maths mock went really bad

I recently did mocks for my GCSEs (I’m in year 10) and i did soooo bad. I got 100/160 :frown: . It’s bad to compare but all my friends got at least 120/160, and one of my closest friends got 147/160. My grade was somehow a 6-7, and theirs were all 8s or 9s. My maths teacher loves her, he’s always going on about how good her scores are, i should be happy for her but it makes me so jealous. I’m pretty sure my maths teacher doesn't even know my name, he never talks to me and only talks to them. We are spending the next few lessons going over the paper and I’m dreading it, i don't want to look back at it and i don’t want to listen to my friends talk about their scores. Does anyone have any tips to improve or to stop feeling so envious? My parents keep saying how they expected at least a 75% from me, and it really isn’t helping. As well as this, i didn’t tell my friends my score because it was embarrassing and they keep asking me to tell them, when i really don't want to :frown:
Original post by B_____
I recently did mocks for my GCSEs (I’m in year 10) and i did soooo bad. I got 100/160 :frown: . It’s bad to compare but all my friends got at least 120/160, and one of my closest friends got 147/160. My grade was somehow a 6-7, and theirs were all 8s or 9s. My maths teacher loves her, he’s always going on about how good her scores are, i should be happy for her but it makes me so jealous. I’m pretty sure my maths teacher doesn't even know my name, he never talks to me and only talks to them. We are spending the next few lessons going over the paper and I’m dreading it, i don't want to look back at it and i don’t want to listen to my friends talk about their scores. Does anyone have any tips to improve or to stop feeling so envious? My parents keep saying how they expected at least a 75% from me, and it really isn’t helping. As well as this, i didn’t tell my friends my score because it was embarrassing and they keep asking me to tell them, when i really don't want to :frown:

Hey getting a 6 grade is great at this stage and considering your still in year 10 you have ages to improve on your score. I grt its disheartening that you didn't get grade you wanted.However i would recommend spending your timing thinking abt how you can improve your grade rather than worry what other people might think of you. Maths is a tough subject and its important to trace back your steps to see where you went wrong: was it the lack of practice or lack of understanding of the topic.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Ok so im in year 11, doing my GCSEs rn ofc, i personally was always good at maths but struggled at english. So heres my advice i finished year 10 with a 6 in english both language and lit. I had no hope for english and i was dissapointed as i got 8/9s for everything else. English was always harder for me, probably because it is my 3rd language but never give up on a subject you think you are bad at. I found a very helpful teacher on youtube for english i used him for my notes and ideas and got an 7 in both my christmas mocks for lang and lit and then an 8 for both lang and lit for easter. So do not stress, you still have a lot of time to improve and i reccomend watching The GCSE maths tutor on youtube to cover any content you are unfamiliar with or do not understand. Trust me when i say you can improve by a lot - im the literal example, got 29/30 3x in a row recently for my literature essays. Anything is possible if you put in the work. I hope this helps
Reply 3
this was literally me a year ago when i was in y10 as well my friends were getting 8/9 in maths when i was barely getting a 7 but here's what id advise u to do
maths is all abt practice but dont do past papers rn save them for mid y11 like around february/march
do corbett maths 5 a day the higher AND higher plus one every single day theyre so good for exposure to different types of questions and it gets you used to the question format
dont do whole papers at this stage, but like find a past paper online and take the last question or one of the last questions and just plan out how you would answer it, bcs the questions they word it to seem so complicated but its v simple topics if u can just like learn how to see these topics in questions u will do SOOOOO much better, look at the mark schemes and see what the examiner is looking for what working out marks etc. also u can find 'grade 9' question papers for maths on the internet
go onto maths genie website and do questions for topics in the grade 7/8/9 section as well and theres this guy on yt called gcse maths tutor who has rlly good videos for anything ur struggling on and rlly dont know how to go abt answering
u have so much time to improve so dont waste it, start now and then on results day u will feel proud of urself when u get an 8/9

Quick Reply

Latest