The Student Room Group

Cambridge considering using American-style GPA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
I’m quite sure that’s exactly the thinking of some of the current government. “Allowing universities to set their own course content is far too much freedom in the hands of a bunch of lefties.”

Ehh, that's not really the point I'm trying to make.

University classifications matter for jobs/internships etc.

Cambridge screwing over their A*A*A*A* students in Maths/NatSci/CompSci/Engineering by giving the bottom 30% of the cohort a 2.2 simply isn't fair.
yeah tbf I’m gonna scrape a 2:1 like 61% don’t really deserve the same grade as the dude who almost got a first
The GPA method is useful because it generally comes along with year-wide assessments as opposed to one or two at the end of the year. Having a concrete number is pointless, as we have one already. What is important is to have more assessments and for universities to see more of the capabilities of their students. Monthly summative essays, vivas, class projects. All that other doss stuff.

But that in itself breeds informality and leads to grade inflation, so I am not sure how it is a solution in any way.
Original post by Dominoes
yeah tbf I’m gonna scrape a 2:1 like 61% don’t really deserve the same grade as the dude who almost got a first

But you got a 61% and your pal got a 69%. Under the current system, you are distinguished. It is just a matter of whether an employer or whatever bothers to ask either of you for your overall percentage or module breakdown. It is not uncommon in the US and other places for employers to not even bother to ask you what you got, i.e. they go in completely blind. Under that approach, you and your 55% pal would be on an equal footing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gampslaw123
easy mistake to make i guess but the bear is actually over 60 years old

Damn
Reply 45
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
The GPA method is useful because it generally comes along with year-wide assessments as opposed to one or two at the end of the year. Having a concrete number is pointless, as we have one already. What is important is to have more assessments and for universities to see more of the capabilities of their students. Monthly summative essays, vivas, class projects. All that other doss stuff.

But that in itself breeds informality and leads to grade inflation, so I am not sure how it is a solution in any way.

There's no indication Cambridge would also drop their end of year exams as the main source of grading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rinsed
I absolutely disagree. The problem with this in American universities is that, perversely, it encourages a mindset of always focussing on immediate grades rather than actual learning. Further, it ramps up the pressure on students all the time rather than just at the end.

In the first two terms of the year I always knew that I wasn't being formally assessed, so all I had to do was learn and prepare for the inevitable reckoning. I was perfectly happy to leave a question on a problem sheet after struggling with it for a few hours and go to my tutorial saying "I really didn't get this, what am I missing?". If my problem sheet marks had counted towards my final degree I would absolutely not have been so laid back, but would this addition to my stress-levels have helped my learning? I think not.

Further, the fact that individual problem-sheets/essays/class tests count towards GPA in American colleges is one of the reasons why standardisation is absolutely impossible. There's just too much variation in the system.

My suggestion was there should be year-wide testing, rather than that every assessment or interaction with the course should be summative.

You may disagree. But the problem I had in mind is people completely disregarding course content for several months, or not engaging with it "professionally", and when exam time comes round they cram like hell in order to pass. For me, a better approach would be examining people after each topic and ensuring that each person has a sold understanding of that topic's content, and if they don't, it is unlikely they can be said to be a 2:1 or first-class student.

I appreciate this is not as big of a problem at Oxbridge, as there is the constant interaction with the content owing to the tutorial/supervision system. At Oxbridge, it is implied that the students have a comprehensive understanding of the content, even though it is not expressed through summative assessment. It would be more useful, in practice, at the other universities. But even at Oxbridge, it is important to distinguish artificial or crammed knowledge from organic or genuine knowledge.

Original post by Doonesbury
There's no indication Cambridge would also drop their end of year exams as the main source of grading.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed, which is why I think it is pointless.
Differentiation is always a good thing...
Fair at the very least..
I just hope they still use the grades from part 2 only
Original post by nulli tertius
This is clearly part of it, but it is not the only element

My facetious comment about cricket is significant. At my Oxford college the alumni usually beat the college despite the average age of the alumni team being well north of 40. Academic ability was not as important in recruiting even in an era where a level of state school admissions were achieved that has only been achieved today with enormous effort.

Study is practically easier today. That is the result of computers. Material is online. High demand materials are digitised. Copying printed material is far easier.

I suspect students in the past studied for longer than they do today but far less productively.

However, students are less willing to go off piste.

Studying to the exam is a post 1990 phenomenon.

That's interesting, thank you. I would have anticipated that students today spend, on average, more time studying than previously, but can't verify this. Certainly I do think that the internet, or more specifically the wealth of information that can be easily found on it for free, has changed studying quite significantly.

Original post by PQ
Lazy employers filtering on degree classifications doesn’t help. That doesn’t put pressure on universities though - it puts pressure on students to understand their results and marking in order to meet that requirement.

There’s no exam board sat there saying “well yes but KPMG won’t offer any of these 2:2 graduates a job so let’s change their classification”.

And given that employers already have access to vastly more detailed information (the HEAR format became compulsory in 2012 iirr) switching to GPA isn’t going to address their laziness or stop students tactically working towards meeting whatever filters they apply under a new system.

Certainly, I am not saying that universities are upgrading students whose final classification is a 2:2 to a 2:1 so they can apply to certain graduate schemes (especially since many will have already applied before they know their final classification).

But I do think, however, that this might put pressure on universities to award more "good honours". This does not necessarily mean that it is exam boards themselves that are being told to upgrade students, but there are a multitude of other ways for universities to guide students towards achieving higher grades; for example: teaching to the test.

Yes you are completely right though that if universities switch to a GPA system then employers will simply switch to using an arbitrary GPA cutoff, exactly like many in America do.
Original post by Doonesbury
I think increasingly they will use their own assesments instead of filtering on a 2:1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think a lot of employers already use a variety of assessment methods, although often this still comes after the filter, i.e. they are only assessing the candidates who have not been filtered out initially.

And, possibly somewhat contradictory to a lot of what I have said so far in this thread, I don't think it's that many employers who use a 2:1 filter either - it's probably something that is used disproportionately by the big name employers that have bigger presences at university campuses. After all, it is mainly a tool to cut down the number of applicants, and it's mainly those organisations that have large amounts of applicants.
Original post by Smack
That's interesting, thank you. I would have anticipated that students today spend, on average, more time studying than previously, but can't verify this. Certainly I do think that the internet, or more specifically the wealth of information that can be easily found on it for free, has changed studying quite significantly.

Before the internet, reading an arts or social science subject at university basically meant precis-ing material in a library and then creating an essay from your synthesis of your manuscript notes.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Whose to say the GPA system won't eventually suffer the same inflation as the current system?

when it happens just change it back lmao
Original post by J-SP
Employers have no appetite to use HEAR despite it being rammed down our throats for the last 6-7 years. Why on earth would an employer want to read through an 7-8 page document to try and deduce something. They don’t even want to read a 2 page CV. Plus HEAR has some major flaws and has been shown to heavily discriminate lower SEB groups, carers and commuters.

Plus universities haven’t even used it consistently, so why would an employer try to use something that isn’t being rolled out to every graduate well?

That’s what I was trying to get across. Employers aren’t lacking for more details if they want it....and they don’t want it!

The drive to move to GPA isn’t from employers, and it won’t address concerns about grade inflation (if anything by putting a break in the time series it could mask further inflation).

It’s coming from universities desperate to change the narrative around degree classifications and grade inflation that’s coming from the press and the government. Instead of engaging with the concerns and emphasising the strengths of the current system (degree awarding powers sitting with universities, the ability for curricula to change to match latest research, the way different degrees use different pedagogical methods to give a diverse HE sector where lots of different learning styles can thrive in their own niches)....the universities are offering up some half baked ideas about GPA.

It’s not the way to stop the whispers from Whitehall about a university exam board.
Whose to say the GPA system won't eventually suffer the same inflation as the current system?

like at Harvard where the average grade is A- (lol)
the bear's time? By the posts he makes, I thought he was barely older than typical graduate age :biggrin:

Doonesbury thinks i am like well old :rolleyes:
Original post by the bear
Doonesbury thinks i am like well old :rolleyes:

Some of us are so old we remember when only 4-5% of students on our degree achieved a First. Nowadays, for that same course and university, the figure is around 25%. I do find myself wondering how that can be when today's students produce about half the amount of work we did and have a fraction of the contact hours...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
Some of us are so old we remember when only 4-5% of students on our degree achieved a First. Nowadays, for that same course and university, the figure is around 25%. I do find myself wondering how that can be when today's students produce about half the amount of work we did and have a fraction of the contact hours...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gotta move up those league table positions
Original post by ageshallnot

Posted from TSR Mobile

they must be so much cleverer nowadays :teehee:
Reading and thinking and writing (for History) have not become so much easier as to explain such a change.

One of the best ways of learning to write History essays is to, er, write History essays or seminar papers. Back in the Good Old Days, we wrote an average of 8-10 a term. Now the students on that course write about 4 a term.

(Edited because of a number error.)
(edited 6 years ago)
Didn't UCL say they were going to do this a few years ago, and then it didn't happen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending