The Student Room Group

A level Maths Proofs Question Help

Attachment not found

Basically prove the above equation is true when a b and c are integers. Done all I can and I got nothing
Reply 1
Bump
Attachment can't show.
Reply 3
Question is:
P = 3costheta
Q = 2sintheta
aP^2 + bQ^2 = c where a,b and c are integers
Reply 4
Boop
Reply 5
Plz
Original post by Abyssal
Question is:
P = 3costheta
Q = 2sintheta
aP^2 + bQ^2 = c where a,b and c are integers

From that I take it that:

9acos2θ+4bsin2θ=c9a\cos^2\theta+4b\sin^2\theta=c

What do you mean by prove it's true? It's clearly not true for all a,b,c.

Also:
Some users experience problems with attachments if they upload the image direct to TSR. If you are having problems then we recommend uploading the image to Imgur instead:

1) Go to http://imgur.com/ then click New Post at the top then browse to find your image.
2) Once the image is displayed, right-click on the image and choose "Copy Image Location". It is important you do this so you get the direct image link as opposed to the Imgur link.
3) To display the image in a TSR post you can paste this copied link into your post surrounded by tags
e.g. .

Can you check the wording of the original question?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ghostwalker
From that I take it that:

9acos2θ+4bsin2θ=c9a\cos^2\theta+4b\sin^2\theta=c

What do you mean by prove it's true? It's clearly not true for all a,b,c.

Also:
Some users experience problems with attachments if they upload the image direct to TSR. If you are having problems then we recommend uploading the image to Imgur instead:

1) Go to http://imgur.com/ then click New Post at the top then browse to find your image.
2) Once the image is displayed, right-click on the image and choose "Copy Image Location". It is important you do this so you get the direct image link as opposed to the Imgur link.
3) To display the image in a TSR post you can paste this copied link into your post surrounded by tags
e.g. .

Can you check the wording of the original question?

No its true I asked my teacher today and she solved it the wording of the question is right

costheta = p/3
sintheta = q/2
Use the trig identity cos^2 + sin... = 1
4P^2 + 9Q^2 = 36

You did the same thing as me subbing in P and Q directly haha so I don’t blame you
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Abyssal
No its true

Doesn't hold for P=1,Q=2P=1, Q=2 so it's not true for all P,QP,Q in the integers - the wording of the question IS off.
Original post by Abyssal
No its true I asked my teacher today and she solved it the wording of the question is right

costheta = p/3
sintheta = q/2
Use the trig identity cos^2 + sin... = 1
4P^2 + 9Q^2 = 36

You did the same thing as me subbing in P and Q directly haha so I don’t blame you

Long time since I've seen such a load of horse manure!

I hope that's not the normal style of her questions, assuming she set it.
Reply 10
Original post by RDKGames
Doesn't hold for P=1,Q=2P=1, Q=2 so it's not true for all P,QP,Q in the integers - the wording of the question IS off.

The wording of the question never said all integers.., why would you assume that?
Original post by Abyssal
The wording of the question never said all integers.., why would you assume that?

The point is that it should’ve said ‘for certain integers’ or something along those lines.

Usually when it just says ‘for integers’ it just means that you can pick integers of your choice and the statement will hold for them, hence the assumption.

I myself was initially puzzled as to what exactly we need to prove because clearly it doesn’t hold for any pair of integers.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest