The Student Room Group

Should I sign up for an Open University module to help my application???? HELP

Hi!!!!
I’m in year 12 and preparing for my AS exams in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics in the summer. I’m hoping to apply to study medicine at Oxford in October.
I’ve got some placements lined up for after my exams, and I’m also doing some volunteering.
I’m reading around medicine, I’m currently reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skoot. It’s a really great book that has introduced me to the ethics of medicine, and forced me to question some of my previous beliefs! I definitely recommend it to anyone else in a similar position to myself, or anyone who’s looking for an interesting read.
With regards to ‘supercurricular’ and other experiences, if there’s anything you think that I could be doing to support my application please tell me! I’m always looking for new things to do!!

I’ve been offered funding to complete a 10 credit Open University module, starting in April. I’m a little hesitant on whether to uptake the offer as I’m already finding it difficult to fit everything in, with studying, preparing for medicine and extra curriculars. However, I understand that this is a good opportunity for me and don’t want to throw it away if it will help me a lot in the long run? Does anyone have any experiences completing an open university module? How much time will I need to spend working towards the certificate? Do you think that it will be really beneficial to me in my application?
ANY advice (about Oxbridge, Medicine and the open university module etc) would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you 😁
May I please ask how you did im GCSE? :smile:

I am planning to apply to Oxford for medicine this upcoming year too!
I have 12.5 A*s at GCSE ( I did a short course in RS ). How did you do in GCSE? Have you read any books that you would recommend for wider reading? Thanks :smile:
Hii! I got 11 A* at GCSE and would definitely recommend any atul gawande books :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by plasmodesmateve
I’ve been offered funding to complete a 10 credit Open University module, starting in April. I’m a little hesitant on whether to uptake the offer as I’m already finding it difficult to fit everything in, with studying, preparing for medicine and extra curriculars.

You've answered it yourself. Focus on your core academics, they should be your priority. :wink:
It may help very slightly, it may not.

Not getting your grades will mean you are rejected though!

So prioritise what you need. If you feel you're already struggling then no need for unnecessary risks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending