The Student Room Group

Dog dies in overhead locker on United Airlines plane

United Airlines are the centre of controversy once again after a flight attendant instructed a passenger to put their pet carrier, containing a live dog, in the overhead storage lockers during the flight.

The passenger argued back with the attendant, though eventually complied with their request. By the time the plan had landed, the dog had died - a US media report stated a lack of oxygen as a possible reason for this.

Since the incident, the attendant has claimed not to have known there was a live animal in the carrier. A passenger who was seated behind the owner during the flight has contradicted this, however, with her story stating that the owner had confirmed verbally that it had her dog in it.

United Airlines has come under fire in the past for its treatment of animals during flights; one example being the giant rabbit that died on one of its trips last year. Last year they had the highest number of animal deaths of any US carrier, with 18 animals killed and 13 injured in transport, according to a DOT report.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43394952
Reply 1
I sense a VERY big law suit coming.
Original post by Napp
I sense a VERY big law suit coming.

I certainly hope so!
Reply 3
Original post by shadowdweller
I certainly hope so!

Indeed! I feel if I was that person I might be trying to jam that particular hostess into one of the engines for killing my pet!
Isn't this the same airline that physically dragged some Asian guy off a plane so they could help out a member of staff who needed a flight?
Original post by Axiomasher
Isn't this the same airline that physically dragged some Asian guy off a plane so they could help out a member of staff who needed a flight?

I believe so, there seems to have been a chain of horrific events from them in recent years.
Who really thinks carrying an animal in your hand luggage is a good idea? No sympathy.
Reply 7
I am so disgusted by this, that flight attendant deserves to be sacked immediately.

How can she claim that she didn't know there was a dog in the crate when it was an approved carrier bag for a dog! She defintely knew there was an animal in there, as the woman said to her many times before forgetting the argument. She is trying to cover her tracks. What a disgusting idiotic thing to do, hope they get a large settlement but no amount of money can make up for this loss of a loved pet.
Poor dog, we don’t deserve animals
Reply 9
Original post by Death and Taxes
Who really thinks carrying an animal in your hand luggage is a good idea? No sympathy.

Based on this airline's previous experience of handling animals in there special cabinet for pets, I know I certainly would want to have my dog with me. They have no sympathy for animals!!
Original post by Death and Taxes

To clarify here, it was in an approved pet carrier that is allowed on flights under the seat in front. They should not have been instructed to put the animal in the overhead lockers and (presumably) it would have been fine if usual policies had been followed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending